VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20,813 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (jeanmp3)

quote:[HR][/HR]One LOVELY side affect of replacing the double DIN unit with an aftermarket radio.... the VW service analyser will not be able to talk to the car's computer unless the factory stereo is hooked up to the harness. Apparently, the stereo completes the test circuit.[HR][/HR]​
Absolutely not true. The radio does not complete anything. The dealer will refuse to connect their diagnostic tool to the car because the data wire to the radio can ruin their tool if it's connected to an aftermarket unit. The solution is to make sure the data wire is not connected to the aftermarket unit. I have documentation in the glovebox from the stereo shop stating that the data wire is not connected and the stereo was installed professionally. The dealer had no problem hooking up my car to their diagnostics.
If you do it yourself, take polaroids of the install showing the data wire not connected. Or swap it each time if you're comfortable doing that. Then they definitely can't give you any problems at all.

[Modified by ChrisMD, 12:23 AM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
20,813 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (jeanmp3)

Jeanmp3,
I'm sorry. I didn't realize that the new units were so different. I have an early 2002 that had the original single-din Monsoon. Still, it sounds really fishy that it doesn't work.
I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but I have to wonder if there's something the dealer doesn't know?? Anyone have similar experiences?
Did you have the aftermarket installed professionally? If so, I would check with them, maybe they can do a little research. My installer did all kinds of research for me before I had the Alpine installed. (Can't get that kind of service from Circuit City.
)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.