VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (UKAUSSI)

The new "K-wire" is now two wires you don't want to connect to anything: the two CAN wires.
CAN stands for Controller Area Network, and is a data network that links together various subsystems in the car, like the power window/lock modules, the ECU, the climate control system, etc.
It is possible to decode the CAN data to figure out the dim, ignition codes, etc., but it requires the proper equipment and isn't trivial. I might take a stab at it one day, but not any time soon.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (PanEuropean)

quote:[HR][/HR]Rob:
Thanks for posting that information about the CAN and K wire, that is new for me, and very timely, because I am now in the process of trying to hook up my cell phone so it works through this new Double DIN radio.
Could you clarify one thing for me, please? Did the 'CAN' wire replace the 'K' wire? If so, about when was the production changeover? I have a 2002 Golf TDI that was manufactured in Brazil in August of 2001. Is there a way I can easily determine if it uses the 'CAN' wire or the 'K' wire?
Lastly, do you know how far down (into minor systems) the CAN / K wires have influence? For example, would the rainsensor mirror involve one of these two wires, because it needs to know the transmission selector position?
Michael[HR][/HR]​
Apparently, if and only if you've got the double DIN unit, you've got the CAN wires and the new harness, otherwise you've got the K wire and old harness.
The two CAN wires replace the ignition switch wire, the illumination wire, the K wire, and probably some others I'm forgetting.
As far as what systems they are integrated into, that's up to the manufacturer, but they're likely to be a part of every controller in the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.