VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would give something back for all the info I have gleaned off the forums.
I finally got around to making a set of removal tools and took out the new double-DIN CD/Cassette in my 2002 GTI w/Monsoon
Here's some pics:-

(All the bottom wires go to the cd-changer socket)

[Modified by UKAUSSI, 12:09 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (vw2.0gti)

I have spent a lot of time over the past couple of days looking through the forums as well as the web sites of Crutchfield and Blaupunkt. What I found was that the Blaupunkt was the easiest to install (plugs are mostly the same on the back and it works withe the Monsoon) although not the best quality. Most people were very happy with the upgrade and found that it sounded better than the OEM unit and improved the sound from the Monsoon also.
I think I am going to go with a Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD51 as the unit is black (same as my dash) and the color scheme matches at night. (SEE other post below)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=136638
One of the reasons for switching is that I wanted the extra DIN space for a boost guage and maybe oil temp and EGT guages. I think I would need to have a single DIN cage though but haven't got that far yet.
Can anyone else help

[Modified by UKAUSSI, 11:06 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (vw2.0gti)

Sorry, but as far as I am aware you cannot use these controls as they are VERY specific. Only a couple of CD-changers other than OEM will work. I maybe wrong as I am not an audiophile but 99% sure.
If you want to hook up MP3 etc I suggest getting a different HU which has those inputs. To get an idea look on the Blaupunkt website, this will tell you which units have aux inputs etc. http://www.blaupunktusa.com/receivers/receivers_index.html
Also, there are many other makes of HU that will also work but I have not got that far yet.
My next step is to see if there is a way to filter out the low freq from the signal going from the HU to the Monsoon amp and redirect it to a subwoofer. Can anyone help with this ???

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (vickielman)

quote:[HR][/HR]So, it may be possible to replace the double DIN unit with the old style single DIN unit? I pick up my '02 Jetta next week after waiting since August. I had purchased the VW indash Changer which works with the old style single DIN units. The dealer acted like it couldn't be done (replacing the new unit with old + changer), or that if it could it would cost a lot of money because wiring harnesses were different or something. I doubt that they have even looked at it or tried to change anything out, of course. But, doggonit, I wanted this in dash changer, its been sitting around for the past two months waiting for my car! Since I haven't picked up my car yet, I haven't had anyone take a look. Any more thoughts anyone?
TIA,
Vicki[HR][/HR]​
I am not sure if it will work as apparently the plugs are different.
Take a pic of the back of your in-dash cd and the adapter plug you have and compare against my pic above. Please post it also so we can also compare.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (PanEuropean)

PanEurpean:
If you have the same HU as I do then you will have the same pinouts on the back. This shows the orange/green and orange/brown as the CAN wires.
Also, don't know anything about cellphone hook-ups - sorry.

[Modified by UKAUSSI, 10:09 AM 12-4-2001]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.