VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (NewbieBaby)

One LOVELY side affect of replacing the double DIN unit with an aftermarket radio.... the VW service analyser will not be able to talk to the car's computer unless the factory stereo is hooked up to the harness. Apparently, the stereo completes the test circuit.
This means that those of us who switch HUs are faced with the grim specter of having to reattach the factory HU everytime we bring in the car for service.
Unless.... somebody knows a way to overcome this ridiculous situation.

[Modified by jeanmp3, 5:03 AM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (ChrisMD)

Hi Chris,
I brought my 2002 Passat in for service this morning. It used to have the double DIN premium 6 unit described in this post. It now has an aftermarket head unit. The factory harness is completely unused. Nothing is connected to it. The power for my new HU is wired straight to the battery, and the ignition wire is wired to the fusebox.
The VW analyser was unable to talk to the computer of my car. They told me that it was because the factory HU was disconnected. I watched as they hooked up the analyser after I showed them the factory harness wasn't used. It wasn't working.
It's a bit of a mystery. Perhaps there is another explanation. I am going to return to the service guys with my factory head unit connected to see if that solves the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.