VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an 81 caddy with a 1.6na diesel. Done a bunch of work to it replacing a failed crank and everything else I can replace on the way doing the job. It’s just about going again but I’m still running in to a pulley alignment problem that was there when I bought it. The crank pulley is just a little bit out from the water and alternator pulleys. Bought a used crank pulley on here and that one is even more out than the original. Are both crank pulleys the wrong ones?

This is a close as I can get it.

With the water pump pulley facing the other way.

And with the used pulley I bought

·
Registered
B5 A4 2.0 Stroker, 2016 VW Touareg
1,781 Posts
I’ve got an 81 caddy with a 1.6na diesel. Done a bunch of work to it replacing a failed crank and everything else I can replace on the way doing the job. It’s just about going again but I’m still running in to a pulley alignment problem that was there when I bought it. The crank pulley is just a little bit out from the water and alternator pulleys. Bought a used crank pulley on here and that one is even more out than the original. Are both crank pulleys the wrong ones?

This is a close as I can get it.

With the water pump pulley facing the other way.

And with the used pulley I bought
I believe that is correct they are supposed to be offset.

Edit: Oh wait I reread I see whats going on that's interesting I'm not sure

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try washers on backside of water pump pulley to line up. Get longer bolts if needed. With a 40 year old car you sometimes just have to make what you have work. Good luck 👍
I was thinking that or putting the water pully in my press and trying to push the center down a little. I'd like to get it stock but that might end up impossible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts