VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Awesome. That’s what I assumed, but neither the Bentley or the etka illustrate the part.

I pulled a bushing off my old mk2 pedal cluster. Will grab another. I don’t understand why they ever used foam bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yeah, I think that part was an afterthought as the single bushing in the pedal would wear out quickly and the double bushing setup allowed more movement and less wear at the bind points. But it's still a bad setup.

Sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Regarding pedal bushings, a friend forwarded this German blog post which talks about the linkage and bushings.

https://ost-blog.passat32.de/2018/08/17/er-haengt-wieder-am-gas/

Otherwise, I’ve been getting everything else hooked up and trying to get this thing started.

Emptied the fuel out of the tank and wiped out what I could. Cleaned off the pickup screen. Put new fuel in and got fuel up to the IP. Now I’m dealing with a dry injection pump which really doesn’t want to pump fuel despite bleeding it out. I’m going to try gravity feeding it tomorrow. And I’ll try taking the return banjo off to bleed without that restrictor in the way.

Really want to get this thing going!

·
Registered
mk3 golf variant 2.0, passat b1 33 variant tdi project
17 Posts
Regarding pedal bushings, a friend forwarded this German blog post which talks about the linkage and bushings.

Er hängt wieder am Gas

Otherwise, I’ve been getting everything else hooked up and trying to get this thing started.

Emptied the fuel out of the tank and wiped out what I could. Cleaned off the pickup screen. Put new fuel in and got fuel up to the IP. Now I’m dealing with a dry injection pump which really doesn’t want to pump fuel despite bleeding it out. I’m going to try gravity feeding it tomorrow. And I’ll try taking the return banjo off to bleed without that restrictor in the way.

Really want to get this thing going!

the injection pump doesnt want to pump because the vanes that do the pumping are a tad stuck. that'd be my guess anyway. instead of trying to start it with the key try pulling it behind another car to get a little more speed on the pump, might get the vanes unstuck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I ended up gravity feeding the pump with diesel purge (then diesel) and tapped on it while cranking. Finally got some wetness around two of the injectors. Decided I would tighten all the lines down and give it a go. BOOM. Fired right up. And it sounds great!

One question about the AirResearch turbo on this thing — is it an especially flashy turbo? Does it whistle and whine? I’ve never had a td and was half expecting to hear the turbo so it’s thing but I didn’t get that satisfaction with some revs. Just curious!

·
Registered
810 Posts
You can hear it, but you're not going to impress anyone. These engines are actually pretty solid and get you where you're going in decent time, but they are not Cats or Cummins. They are old school indirect injection and they are just little workhorses. TDI swaps are pretty easy nowadays and that's where you could really see huge improvements. I am longing for my old little 84 td wagon. I loved that car. My first VW.
If I could have found one cheap enough, I would have grabbed an 01E 6spd from a TDI and done the tdi swap in my QSW, but it's getting a 1.8t gas instead. And I'll be selling it when it's done. Gotta thin out the herd and make some cash.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I’m long familiar with the engine. Been driving 1.6 NAs since 2003. I actually rebuilt this block ten years ago so I’m happy to see it in a different car.

I did just hook up a boost gauge to the IP boost line. Revved it a bit and only got some slight vacuum. I know it should be under load to perform properly, so I’m hoping it gets whirring this week.

I would’ve swapped for something with more power, but I’m doing that with my mk2 jetta wagon build. I wanted to stick with 1.6 for this quantum, esp since I had some engines kicking around.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I grafted a golf tail end. With some nice little quarter windows in the back which I kinda love. Gonna jump back into it very soon! I have a build in the mk2 section I believe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks! It’s been a long journey. I switched to the quantum because I needed some instant (2months) gratification. I have a long way to go with this mk2.

I have another seemingly simple quantum question - what head lights do I need? Are they all four the same or two lows and two highs? They seem easy to get but I just can’t figure out which ones to get/how many.

And if there are upgrades then what do you recommend?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't think I have any more euro or santana lights mucking around, but I'll check. Easiest is to just get the later 86-88 lights and grill. They're a big upgrade and you can sell the 4 light setup and turnd and grill overseas for bucks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Oh I meant specifically which sealed beam lamps would I need for the quad light setup?

Edit: Figured out that two low beam and two high beam lights are needed to make a set. H4651 and H4656

In the long run I’d love to upgrade to the Santana/euro setup, but I got the impression that I would need the whole front end, bumper included, since the turn signal markers are in the bumper with those.

What is required to make the swap anyway?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
And actually, if anyone has a headlight frame they would sell, let me know! I know of one two hours from here but I don’t have the time for that kind of trip.

Also looking fit a DS signal lens

·
Registered
Passat B2 33b 1987 1.6TD 51kw
65 Posts
Just a tip, when filling your transmission with oil put your car on an angle so the rear is higher than the front. Make sure you drain all of the oil from tans. And fill it with 80w90 mineral 2liters. (if its a 5 speed)

And could you post more pics of your quantum, interesting to see US version of eu passat

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Good tips! I will be filling it tomorrow or Friday.

So, I had a hard time finding GL-4 gear oil locally. I ended up buying Redline MTL, which seems like the preferred and recommended oil for 020 transmissions, which I assumed would be the same for this. This oil is rated at 70w80 though - will this transmission work okay with this? I didn’t see any other weights for MTL.

Here are some photos I took last summer. I am fixing up the front end this week. Trim components, turn signal lenses, headlights, etc.

·
Registered
Passat B2 33b 1987 1.6TD 51kw
65 Posts
Good tips! I will be filling it tomorrow or Friday.

So, I had a hard time finding GL-4 gear oil locally. I ended up buying Redline MTL, which seems like the preferred and recommended oil for 020 transmissions, which I assumed would be the same for this. This oil is rated at 70w80 though - will this transmission work okay with this? I didn’t see any other weights for MTL.

Here are some photos I took last summer. I am fixing up the front end this week. Trim components, turn signal lenses, headlights, etc.

Nice, im jealous of your electronic equipment... Yeah I changed my oil first time and poured in 75w90 synt and the transmission was humming like crazy, also bearings were fu after a year. Didn't know any better. And all that time I had the information in the cars original book, although it was in german. Now i installed a second trans and poured in the factory recommended trans 80w90 mineral no problems. Passat b2 and audi 80 b2 (platform on which passat is made) are know for having crappy transmissions compared to audi 80 b3, my recommendation is to stick with the factory spec oil.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I got the car running and on the road after all my shifter bushings came in. Last night I got the remaining trim and light components on.

Unbelievably, I pulled the turn signal bezels from a junkyard last year. The passenger side lens was good, but the driver side had crumbled. A nice man I met through Instagram sent me the driver side lens, As well as a from headlight retainer I was missing. I also pulled the hood Trim components from the junkyard car. Not the best looking variety, and it needs to be cleaned up, but it’s good to see it all back to stock.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.