VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have problems with their car pulling to the right? I have a 2002 1.8T and it has been in the shop
three times so far and the problem is still there?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Pulling to the right? (marcusinfl)

Often the curvature of the road (part of the intended construction to spill water off) causes this. Make sure you're driving on COMPLETELY flat pavement!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Re: Pulling to the right? (hosehead)

...even highways have the *crest* designed in over many lanes.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Re: Pulling to the right? (E36BMW)

Yep, mine pulls to the right.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
You get used to holding the wheel so it doesn't run off the road.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: Pulling to the right? (matt007)

Basically, All cars are designed to cant to the right where the
Driver is on the port side...Safety issue...if you nod off the car goes off
the road onto the shoulder as opposed to going into on coming traffic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: Pulling to the right? (vwguild)

**Quote** - Basically, All cars are designed to cant to the right where the
Driver is on the port side...Safety issue...if you nod off the car goes off
the road onto the shoulder as opposed to going into on coming traffic
I completely agree. Simply call the dealer if you don't believe us. Someone in sales or service should be able to verify that almost all cars, including VW, slightly tune their cars to drift to the right if the car does not recieve steering response. "A safety issue" as mentioned...for loss of steering, brakes, etc....or of course falling asleep behind the wheel. It shouldn't be too noticible....only when you are not guiding the car with the steering should you notice it. If it is, have the dealer adjust your alignment.

·
Registered
113 Posts

My '02 did same thing before the deer got in the way. An alignment is part of the fix up. I'll be curious to see if it does after that. (I don't remember a car doing that before, or at least not to this degree, but is was just noticable when I had my hand off the wheel.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Pulling to the right? (TinMan)

Got her back tonight. Service Mgr said it aligned perfectly. Drift to the right is exactly the same as before I hit Bambi. Only happens slightly when your hand is not guiding the wheel. Doesn't bother me at all. Must be a feature. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
604 Posts
Re: Pulling to the right? (TinMan)

What size tires are you driving on?
I found that when I switched from the stock 195/65/15's to Dunlop sp5000 225/50/16 the car pulled to the right AND left! In the end it really only pulled when I was driving on 'gutter' roads. Very noticable when taking a corner on asphalt.
No pull whatsoever on concrete roads.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Re: Pulling to the right? (JohnF)

quote:[HR][/HR]What size tires are you driving on?
I found that when I switched from the stock 195/65/15's to Dunlop sp5000 225/50/16 the car pulled to the right AND left! In the end it really only pulled when I was driving on 'gutter' roads. Very noticable when taking a corner on asphalt.
No pull whatsoever on concrete roads.
[HR][/HR]​
It is "tracking" the road. Different tires have different tracking characterists.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey,
Have a 2001.5 GLX with 16 inch wheels. I had the same problem with car pulling to the right. I thought it was an alignment problem and asked the dealer to look at it several times. They kept telling me its the tire pressure. But I check it all the time and my tire pressure are always kept the same between left and right. Anyhow, last week I had the 10k mile service, they rotated the tires and the pulling is gone. Now it tracks totally straight. I asked them if they did anything to my alignment and they said no. Anyway, the problem was solved and I didnt have to pay a penny. Perhaps you should have the dealer rotated the tires and see if that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Mine does it if the brakes are initially stabbed when it is wet out at highway speeds. Once the initial braking is done it doesn't tend to do it when repeated immediately after. I've had the OEM wheels on and the snow tires/wheels and it's the same. My Saab would do this a bit too but it did suprise me at first. It does not seem to matter what lane or surface roughness I'm on although certainly some accentuate it more. I read of Mercedes' new braking system that occasionally slightly kisses the rotors in the wet to keep the response times down. I sometimes have done it manually on my cars, especially if the rotor lip is large, I wonder if it "holds" more water. Curious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.