VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 GTI with about 8200 miles on it. For a while i have noticed that the idle isn't as smooth as i though it would be. The car is completely stock and this has happened for a while, not just recently. One of the service writers at the dealer i go to suggested the grade of gas, i didn't think that would help but i gave it a shot anyways. Nothing. I notice it more after having driven the car. I'll park and let it cool down and i can feel it shaking the car just a little, nothing major. I can feel it in the seat the best. While sitting, every now and then it pulses a little harder and then again a little later and so on. Like i said it is nothing that bad and the service writer says its nothing to worry about, even though it bothers me. Anyone have this problem and remedy it? I went to school for auto tech so i am not in the dark, but i thought it would be smooth sailing with a new car. Also while driving it there is no miss or anything like that. Thanks for any ideas or help.

·
Vendor
21,174 Posts
FV-QR

Does it just idle and sound normal and then all of a sudden sound like idle tone dips off for a second and then comes back up again?
Worse example ever but something like this:
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkarrrouullaaakkkrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkaarrroouullaaaakkkrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Or:

Modified by [email protected] at 6:47 PM 9-9-2008

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: FV-QR (volcomska)

Had this issue for all of the 53k miles I had my A3 2.0T. New PCV, DV, N80 etc, etc nothing worked. Misfire on cyl2 at idle only..... Not even swopping coils, plugs etc solved the issue. Know of several people with this issue...luckily my new Gti is 100%

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
similar problem here too...it is usually much more noticeable with the a/c on too. I have the EJ PCV fix and one heat range colder plugs. I'm gonna have my shop double check the PCV fix and check for any vac leaks and see if that solves anything.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: (gliplatinum)

When my AC was on I had no misfiring whatsoever. Also had a lean at idle code at times so I assume it was a small vacuum leak that Audi just couldn't find
Performance in hot weather was also very poor.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: FV-QR ([email protected])

It's more of a constant. No bigs drops or anything. The needle sits around 700 rpm and that is where it stays, even when it "pulses". It doesn't matter if its hot or cold out and once driving, it doesn't affect it at all. Basically i can open the hood, put my hand on the engine cover, and feel it. It's nothing that bad but i can feel when it pulses. It shakes a little and then every now and then, not even for a second, it shakes harder, or like a sudden jerk.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Re: FV-QR (observer)

my guess is the code that would show up is a random cylinder misfire... but its tough to nail down... i had coil pack etc replaced because of oil blowing into the cylinder... it went away for a while but i still have the strange idle... and power issues... but thats another story entirely

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: FV-QR (yvrnycracer)

I can't remember exactly what block you should look at (think it is 240 or something like that). This tells you exactly how many misfires you have per minute at idle. My max was about 12, average about 4 to 8. No codes

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately i don't have a scanner, so I am not sure if any codes are there. After H2O it will be time for an inspection at the dealer so I am going to bring it up then. Anyone else going to H2O? We can compare and if anyone brings a scanner we can see if there are any similar codes. Just a thought but maybe just a waste of time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: (ProjectRocco16V)

I had kind of given up on this problem because I had always run my A/C and just blamed it on that. But recently the weather has been really nice and there has not been a need to run it... yet my car still does pulse/shake at idle. Anyone find out anything about this problem?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.