VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

24121 - 24140 of 24184 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
So many delays.. ordered a hard coolant return line that cracked. Whole front end has to come off again, maybe the intake and pcv.

That should be it though, didn't see any other leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts

On Monday I got it running again. Only had to remove the air box to get to the turbo so that was a relief.

I have an issue with my hood latch though. Apparently there's around 6-7 revisions for USDM cars depending on the year and engine. I had the wrong revision for the core support

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,125
He got the car up and running with minimal help. Proud of you Ethan.

I can’t believe this thread is nearly 20 years old

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
You are getting there. Good work!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been trying to find panels for the B5 but it's hard to find silver cars in the Midwest. The rust is starting to get a little out of hand too-- damn Indiana winters.

I've started to look at Quattro B5's to replace mine. I currently have my eyes on another silver sedan up north east (unlikely) and an avant in Casablanca for about $2k that could use a little work but has a good body. Only caveat is that it's a 2.8.

I'm currently entertaining the idea of buying the avant and swapping the 1.8t into it lol. Someone talk me out of this.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,131 (Edited)
I've been trying to find panels for the B5 but it's hard to find silver cars in the Midwest. The rust is starting to get a little out of hand too-- damn Indiana winters.

I've started to look at Quattro B5's to replace mine. I currently have my eyes on another silver sedan up north east (unlikely) and an avant in Casablanca for about $2k that could use a little work but has a good body. Only caveat is that it's a 2.8.

I'm currently entertaining the idea of buying the avant and swapping the 1.8t into it lol. Someone talk me out of this.

Beautiful ride, E. Don’t swap that 30v. Keep it because it sounds great

·
Registered
215 Posts

Potato pic but here she is.

Suuuuuper clean body. Quick inspection under the car shows almost no rust. A door panel is starting to show some, but it's nothing I can't take care of soon.

It came with a ton of maintenance records and even has the original window sticker.

I'm ordering springs and struts tonight and check out if there's anything else that needs replaced. It needs the power steering rack repaired, a cam seal on the driver side(?), and leak detection pump.

Came home with it for $2000. It pulls!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
What was/is rusting on the sedan?
We discovered a large hole where the spare tire was. Various spots around the panels, inside door hinges, sometimes feels like every Torx is rusted-- it's mainly on the chassis but the shell is mostly fine.

I do want to reseal the 1.8t and put it in the avant though. I think it would be nice for the sedan to have a second life. From what I've read it shouldn't take more than a couple full days of wrenching and maybe another grand in parts. 100% certain that motor has plenty of life left in it with a little work.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
We discovered a large hole where the spare tire was. Various spots around the panels, inside door hinges, sometimes feels like every Torx is rusted-- it's mainly on the chassis but the shell is mostly fine.
We did buy it out of Chicago—very low mileage (in the 60’s), but that’s the land of road salt and lake effect snow.... :-(

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,139
I go to crew and always get the under body wash just for this reason.

24121 - 24140 of 24184 Posts