VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
24141 - 24160 of 24184 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm preparing to do a big "while I'm in there" job early next month.

-Timing Belt
-Cam Chain Tensioner x2
-Valve Cover Gaskets
-Cam seals
-Power Steering Pump
-Check PS hoses for leaks
-Check Oil Pan Gasket for leaks
-Rack and Pinion
-Oil change
-Plugs
-2.0TSFI coil convert/ICM delete? (Can only find 2.7T 30v kit but they're almost the exact same engine. Going to check fitment on AZ, can you confirm Jason?)
-S Belt
-Accessory Tensioner
-PCV
-LDP (sourcing lightly used)

-Slotted/Drilled Rotors, SS brake lines, ceramic pads (hawk iirc) with refurbished calipers up front. Will flush fluid. Rear brakes will be eventually upgraded to A6 carriers, rotors, and pads.

-Coilovers?? Looking at BCRacing
-Alignment lol It'll need it afterwards

-10mm spacers for rear, extended conical bolts x20
-I'll be using my dad's Motegis, I have fronts on the fwd. will need to clear uprights.

-S4 cluster WITH FUNCTIONING LCD. Luckily for me, AZ members have figured out how to wire full functionality into the facelift cluster during the mid years.

-Auto dimming rear view mirror

The rest of the suspension is only a couple years old. I don't think I'll replace any of those pieces yet.

I'm pretty sure one of the fuel sensors is faulty. I read that there are 3 for the 30v. Filled the tank when I got it and the pump clicked like the tank was full but on the cluster it read 3/4 full. I need to get around to that sooner than later but isn't necessary right now.

Afterwards it should be good for a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've decided to take the cheaper, larger, but with semi-arguably similar difficulty job of swapping the 1.8t into the 2.8. I don't want to part with it. :'(

I've ordered:
-Full Timing Belt Kit from Europaparts w/ TBelt Service Sticker
-034 Motorsports PCV kit
-Cam Chain Tensioner

I already have a valve cover gasket

Still looking at BC coilovers.
Looking at Valeo's Single Mass Flywheel convert again. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it in a week or so.
BFI motor mounts? I'll need a new driver side transmission mount anyway, might as well.

I can reuse all of the power steering components from the 1.8t and save about $1700 (including ps lines, they're bad and can't be swapped between the two engines) off the bat. I saved another $600 off of timing and valvetrain components. Having two banks makes parts really expensive.
I can pull the Leak Detection Pump off of the 1.8t and plug it into the 2.8.

Going to fix the 1.8, drive it for a couple weeks, and swap it all over. This is definitely the more cost efficient, fun option, and I'll learn a ton on the way.

I'm hoping to have everything done by the end of the first or second week of July.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Waiting on a couple bolts for the upper rear suspension. I snapped one and the other one disappeared. Both brackets were looking pretty rusty, so I bought new ones. Front struts are already in. Going for about 24.5"-24.75" gtf all around. I'll post some of the ride height when it's on the ground.

Valve covers are at banes being ground down so I can run my 2.0T coils. Friday is going to be a busy day.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's lower than I thought it would be. I moved the threads up 2.25" all the way around after starting from the bottom of the strut. I thought that since I had so many threads on the strut to use, the drop wouldn't be as low as it actually was.

I'm thinking about removing the helper springs from the front. It feels kind of bouncy, but that also might be because it's too low or because it's on cheap ass coilovers.

Or both. Lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
I raised the rear an inch. It looks much better. I dropped the car off at Dubbers to get a fuel pump and filter installed. The tank was 3/4 full and after swimming in gasoline for a couple hours I decided to throw in the towel.

24141 - 24160 of 24184 Posts