VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several people with their wheels (rear especially) pushed out. is this just a deep dish wheel setup or is this an easier mod. I see a lot of talk ( and yes i have searched for info on them) on spacers is thios what spacers will accomplish? can this be doen with stock monte carlos, cost, will this help or deteriorate handleing, bassically what are the pluses and minuses of this mod thanks

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Re: pushin out the rear (fusco9)

You want spacers.
Measure how much you want to space out your rears in millimeters and then go to parts4vws.com and look for the appropriate H+R spacers.
If you have questions, then call them,...they will answer all your technical questions.
You can also do research in the tire and wheel forums, or call Eric at the Tire Rack for more help.

I have 15mm spacers on the rear of my GTI,...and i'm running 225/40/18x8"s. I come out nice and flush in the front and rear.
Most people with stock wheels also run a 5 or 8mm front spacer, with about a 15-20mm rear spacer.
Spacers can be safe and trouble free if you install them correctly and get a good quality spacer(H+R is the most common).
Try doing a search in the archived Mk4 forums for "spacers" for more info.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: pushin out the rear (feuerdog)

thanks that is a great help common sense will say that pushin out a bit will help stability will this do that will u see better handleing. also does this look ok or is it done with the stock wheels i have the montes.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Re: pushin out the rear (fusco9)

Yeah it looks great with any wheel,...including stock.

The gain in stability is marginal at best, because by adding width you also increase leverage against the suspension. But geometrically, yes you get slightly more stability.
Only race cars with 2"+ of widening per side really see any felt stability improvement,...for our cars it's mostly cosmetic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts