VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sold my turbo 2.0 gti and crossed over to the srt-4...i love the car, no matter what anyone says, it's fast as heck and i will make it look good...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Re: Put a deposit on a SRT-4 today... (ricegti)

Quote, originally posted by ricegti »
sold my turbo 2.0 gti and crossed over to the srt-4...i love the car, no matter what anyone says, it's fast as heck and i will make it look good...

Congrats. Will you be waiting for a 04?

·
Registered
7,759 Posts

I think it already looks good. In black its mean as hell. Its cheap, durable, and equipped to kick lotsa tail! I'm considering it as a weekend toy!

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Re: Put a deposit on a SRT-4 today... (Whirling_Dervish)

Cool......I like them, black does look cool. Waiting until 04 may not be a bad idea since LSD will be standard.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

I still wouldn't get one but my turbo Mopar buddy says he has a friend with one that is already running in the 12s and he hasn't put $1,000 in it.
Of course... it might not last 100,000 miles, but that's besides the point!

I don't think they look bad in black, I'm just not crazy about the interior. But it's pretty much impossible to beat for performance/dollar in a brand new car with a warranty! Which I think is the whole point.

G

·

The Neon SRT-4 is great, period.
What's the deal with the Mopar Performance Stage Kits? Are they available yet? What are the power outputs added per kit, and how much do they cost?

·
Registered
91 Posts
SRT-4 Mopar Staged Upgades

Stage 1
Stage 1 ECM
+10% Injectors
+20.0 hp
Summer 2003
Stage 2
Stage 2 ECM
+20% Injectors
Turbo Upgrade I (TD05H-15GK2)
3.0 Bar MAP
3.0 Bar TIP
Fuel Pump Upgrade
Fuel Pressure Regulator
2.5 I-pipe
+55.0 hp
Winter 2003
Stage 3
Stage 3 ECM
+30% Injectors
2.5 CAT
Plus all of Stage 2
+85.0 hp
TBA

·
Registered
14,678 Posts
Re: SRT-4 Mopar Staged Upgades (palaban)

The dealer here in Norwalk has had one sitting in the showroom for weeks. Either he's asking too much or people around here don't know what they're missing. It's black, btw.

·
Registered
14,288 Posts

I'll give you 6 months before you start complaining about how uncomfortable the car is.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Re: Put a deposit on a SRT-4 today... (SuperGroove)

good luck with it. make it as nice as your gti was. that car was
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Re: Put a deposit on a SRT-4 today... (eggman95)

Congrats. I just saw my first one yesterday. The only thing I could think when it passed was, "that is one damn fast Neon".
I wouldn't get one, but to each his own. I certainly wouldn't turn down seat time in one either.
Keep us informed. I am curious to see how well the engine handles boost. That is, reliability and all. If it can handle the boost without blowing up, I think this could be the most impressive bang for the buck on the market. Lets hope they didn't cut corners to keep the price down.
Carl

·
Registered
916 Posts
Re: SRT-4 Mopar Staged Upgades (dcomiskey)

Quote, originally posted by dcomiskey »
The dealer here in Norwalk has had one sitting in the showroom for weeks. Either he's asking too much or people around here don't know what they're missing. It's black, btw.

The average driver probably doesn't know how improved and different from a Neon the SRT-4 is. Give the consumers a while to realize.
Me, I wouldn't buy it yet. Not because I believe it's a POS (can't say that, I haven't tested it), but because I'M suspicious of all the goodies in the car. Long term reliability always concerns me... Yes I have a 01 GTI, but it's been very reliable.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: SRT-4 Mopar Staged Upgades (Johnny Blue)

i paid sticker for the car, $19995...it is one of the last 03's in the area and the last red one...
as far as durability goes, it's untested, but some owners have close to 10k miles and NO problems whatsover...can u say that about a 2k3 jetta or gti, NO...you'll have at least some rattles or some squeeks...
the interior is beautiful in my eyes...the viper seats contour perfectly...although someone with a larger stature may find them cramped...
all in all it's the best bang for the buck in ALL departments and i'm so happy with my decision...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Re: SRT-4 Mopar Staged Upgades (ricegti)

Welcome to the club.

I just passed 6k, and have yet to experience any problems.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Re: SRT-4 Mopar Staged Upgades

(I don't mean to talk smack about your car... that's really not my intent. It's to dispute some of the other claims I've seen here and on other threads. )
The reason I wouldn't buy the car is because I'm a bit past the age where I'd give up lots and lots of comfort stuff for a fast car. My Contour SVT is fast enough for me. (Even though I'd love to get a supercharger for it.
) But the for members of a VW forum to doubt the reliability of 'gadgets' of any car is almost laughable. Do window regulators count as gadgets? How about stereos or O2 sensors or MAF sensors? Are those gadgets?
And for comfort, the Wife's Jetta was reasonable comfortable. It was supple, but not really super comfortable. I drove my Civic from Indiana to Florida and back, from Indiana to Texas, to Louisiana and back, from Indiana all around New England up to Maine and back and on a seperate trip, to Deleware and back. It was perfectly comfortable, moreso than the Jetta. I know different people's butts are different but to this butt and the wife's butt, the stark Civic was more comfortable, long term, than the Jetta. No comparison.
I've ridden in a 2001 Neon to Pennsylvania and driven it back. More comfortable than the Jetta. I had no complaints. And the wife's mother has said 2001 Neon and last time I checked, it had just under 50,000 miles on it. Trouble free miles, I might add. The wife's Jetta had somewhere under 48,000 miles when we took it back at lease end. It had been in the shop 12 times and had numerous things that I had fixed (in addition to shop time) and several things that were not working or out of spec when we returned it.
I can't really see knocking the SRT-4 on the basis of reliability or comfort. If it doesn't have a nice enough enterior for you at the $20K price point, fine. Or if you want to say it's ugly because you know it can possible literally run circles around yours and you can't afford to make your car equally fast... then fine! But don't say it's not reliable or not comfortable.
Just my opinion... yours very likely will vary.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts