VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted this in the mk4 forum and they told me to bring it here. I got a motor from a local place that parts out vws. They said it was out of an 01 jetta. My car is a 99.5 and the motor mount broke off of the block. I put this new engine in and now its cranking and not starting. I had to transfer over the crank position sensor, and the front and rear knock sensors because they were different than the ones on my harness but they matched up to my block. also I had to splice in the cam position sensor. because that was competely different. It is showing the following codes
p0116
p1237
p1241
p1239
p1425
p1472
p1435
p1421
p1240
Its not getting spark. it has good plugs and brand new wires. It is getting gas to the #2 cylinder. the other ones were suspect whether it was or not.
could a bad crank sensor cause this? could bad intake gaskets cause the injector codes?
The top sensor was on the new engine (claimed to be from an 01) bottom sensor on the old engine (99.5)

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
I just did an AAA VR swap into my mk3 and it was not starting, but would crank endlessly. It turned out to be the crank position sensor.

If it's cranking and you're not getting fuel or spark, with the ignition "on" i would check the plug on the engine harness that goes to the coil pack for power, then check the ECU for power. You should have somewhere around 12.2 volts or so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I took the crank position sensor off, and checked it with a volt meter, it tested ok, put it back together, and it started first crank! so pumped....the plug must not have been seated properly or something. anyway, I do really want to know why this thing has a cam position sensor from a mk3 on it. are the upper timing chain covers interchangeable on the 2? could someone have changed the upper timing cover over and needed to change the sensor aswell. Is it possible that this engine is out of a mk4 passat? I know its not a mk3 head because the intake manifold bolts up. Im pretty sure it was showing the injector codes from trying to crank it without the fuel pump fuse in...
pretty stoked to hear the sweet purr of my vr once again:cool: now I Just need to get my insurance reinstated and get an inspection...lmk what you all think about the cmp sensor

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so now the only code being shown is p0343, cam position sensor input too high. Does this have to do with my ecu being programed for the original cmp? what can I do about this. I havnt gotten to take the car out and drive it yet because im parked into my garage and I have no insurance right now. so I dont know weather it is driving ok and if it can run for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
I know you don't insurance, and this is probably bad advice, but if it were me, i would still take it for a drive around my neighborhood for a few minutes. Or just get someone who has insurance that extends to other vehicles to drive it while you're riding shot gun. Either way, the only way to know if it's running well is to drive it.

Chances are the cam sensor needs to be replaced if it's giving a constant CEL rather than clearing out when you cleared all the other codes you had.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I heard back from the place I got my block from and they just said they already talked to the garage I go to and are paying to get the sensor problem "fixed" so apperently they know something I dont but when I tried to get out of them what it was they just said, look we are paying the bill. just take it there... i cant wait to see what the shop says... I have a feeling they are going to change my upper timing cover over or something... at least they are working with me here. just wish they would explain what they think the issue is,. lmk what you think, this is getting to me

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
If you had a shop do the swap, and it does not run, it sounds to me like they are doing what they're supposed to and fixing the problem.

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Well, either way it sounds like your car is getting fixed and not on your dime. I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts