VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont kow if anyone has done this. But I got an extra charger and my mom wants a new car and she has a 98 2.0 jetta she'll give me. I was thinking put a rebuilt g60 charger on it. with a 65mm pulley and a front mount. and I guess this is my question.
-what do I have to do to the 2L motor. chip, cam? anything with the fuel system. I think I would have to but not sure. I know I will need to fab brackets but can I just throw it on and go?? thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Re: putting a G60 on a mkIII jetta. 2L (volxg60)

i'm no pro....but if you just throw it on with a stock pulley, it'll run a lil' lean.
and if you put an even smaller pulley on it, you will definitely need a 3.5 fpr and a chip

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: putting a G60 on a mkIII jetta. 2L (Schnell-Corrado)

The 2.0 ABA in your mom's car is very different from the 1.8l g60 motor, and you will not simply be able to bolt a charger on to her engine.
First of all, the 2.0's fueling system is more or less completely incapable of handling even the stock boost from a g60 charger, much less the boost from a pullied charger.So, you'd have to either swap over the g60's fuel management, or go to an aftermarket management system like SDS.
Secondly, the 2.0 isn't built for boost - the compression ratio is too high to safely boost even the stock g60 boost level. So, to be safe, you'd probably want to do something about that - putting in aftermarket forged pistons, for example.
Thirdly, I know of no one who has mounted a g60 to an engine with a stock 2.0 head/manifold assemly without either a) using a home-made manifold, or b) using some weird custom mounting bracket for the charger. So, you're looking at a good-sized custom fabrication problem either way there.
So, what it all boils down to is this - yeah, with a LOT of effort, time, and money, you could probably get that g60 charger on there and get the car running well and making lots of power. But, by that time, you could have probably bought a kickass turbo kit for your 2.0 - one that was designed for your engine, and one that was a little more straightforward to buy and install.
-Nate

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Re: putting a G60 on a mkIII jetta. 2L (SaabFan)

remember it's probably not legal since the engine's older than the car (or is that just cali?)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: putting a G60 on a mkIII jetta. 2L (SaabFan)

Well I am aware of the engines being completley different and figured something would have to be done about the fuel. I thought the compression was the same but I guess not...and didnt think fabrication was going to be that much of a pain.
- would it be more of a pain to swap over G60 fuel system or buy all new???
thanks sooo much for the very helpful feedback... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Re: putting a G60 on a mkIII jetta. 2L (stock60)

Quote, originally posted by stock60 »
remember it's probably not legal since the engine's older than the car (or is that just cali?)

Umm.. That is one of those stupid anti-American California laws. Sort of like what the RIAA is trying to do with music. You can purchase the rights to listen to it, but only how and where we want you to.... In California you can purchase a car, but you can only do things to it we approve of first. Yaahh right...
Emissions - what stinkin emissions check?

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: putting a G60 on a mkIII jetta. 2L (hallkbrd)

Quote, originally posted by hallkbrd »

Umm.. That is one of those stupid anti-American California laws. Sort of like what the RIAA is trying to do with music. You can purchase the rights to listen to it, but only how and where we want you to.... In California you can purchase a car, but you can only do things to it we approve of first. Yaahh right...
Emissions - what stinkin emissions check?

I'm pretty sure it's a national law, at least anywhere that has saftey/emissions inspections - if you swap anything on a car with anything from another car, you're supposed to retain the complete emissions control system from whichever car was newer.
But heck, 90% of what us enthusiasts do is probably emissions illegal anyways.
-Nate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts