VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea if the brakes coming on the 337 are *exactly* the same as the Audi TT, and whether or not they are the same dust-buckets as the normal VW pads?
The reason I ask, is that if they ARE, I am pondering just driving the thing from the dealer to my mechanic and having him slap Mintex pads all around (and not have to pay to machine the rotors)
Input would be appreciated, as I would love to keep those RC's looking clean and shiny!

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: putting Mintex pads on from the start (strider5)

europe usually uses much more aggressive pads than we do on our cars and supposedly the pads are the same as the 25th ed. if this is true, i'd be willing to bet they're pretty bitchin'. if they're not, i'd at least use them to bed in the rotors then replace them.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: putting Mintex pads on from the start (M this 1!)

I read that the pads are supposed to be Pagid.
Taken from the 25th Anniv write up in the features section of the vortex:
"These are clamped by red powder coated calipers utilizing high-friction Pagid 566 pads instead of the lousy Nisshinbo pads that come stock on current U.S. spec cars. Brake pedal feel is outstanding with little to no fade after repeated stops from high speeds. This car really stops on a dime."

These specs might have changed though. Anyone?

[Modified by H20Power, 12:24 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Re: putting Mintex pads on from the start (H20Power)

Those specs should be the same.
Strider5, a little history here since the 98 cars...
VW switched to a low dust/low friction Nisshinbo pad for 2001 models which greatly reduced the initial bite of the brakes and also made brake dust far less of a hassle. I don't care for these pads at all and would rather have the old dustier pads for their better response. The Pagids on the 337 are dusty, but man they stop great.
My only beef with Mintex Reds are that they seem to take forever to bed in. If you switch them when the car is brand new, it will be less of a problem, but a lot of people replace them after a coupe thousand (or more) miles on their rotors without turning the rotor and initially find while they have lower dust, they don't feel as good. Once they break in though they aren't any better or worse than stock and they do reduce the dust a LOT.
I'm still researching pads myself right now so I'll probably stick with stock on the 337 till I sort it all out...
-jamie

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: mintex and rotor bedding (vwvortex1)

yeah, the 98 pads were fine, but geesh, the dust!
I recently replaced my stock pads on my 98 vr6 with mintex, BUT treated myself to zimmerman x-drilled at the same time, so bedding-in really wasnt an issue.
they feel really great, and cleaning my wheels is now a pleasure instead of a chore.
I will *probably* try the 337 pads out since they are not nisshimbos. if they turn out to be too dusty, I guess I will pay to have my rotors turned (which i could save by putting mintex on from the start)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Re: putting Mintex pads on from the start (vwvortex1)

so if one were to install new brake pads from the get-go, then we will not see bedding issues right?
jamie, you mentioned mintex pads are not better or worse than stock, at the same time giving way less dust. what other pads out there do you recommend?

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
Re: putting Mintex pads on from the start (JediCorrado)

quote:[HR][/HR]y? get stoptech ones, they are VERY high quality and work well for the car, because they are designed for the car.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, I've heard that argument a lot, but I'm not sold on it. It's somewhat of a cost issue (by at least $500 or more), and it's just that I haven't seen a very compelling argument against them. The Porsche's are Brembo-made (if I'm not mistaken) and that's quality I know I can feel safe using. Basically, I can't go wrong either way.

[Modified by dcomiskey, 7:32 PM 4-10-2002]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.