VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Going about 70mph down a country backroad. Popped the belt in the middle of nowhere.

Attached is the pics from the teardown. You can see the bent valves in the head and where the valves contacted the pistons. One lifter is bad but I don’t think it is a direct result from the timing belt damage. Looks like it was happening on its own. Plan on reworking the head, new valves, valve stems, and clean the damaged spot on the pistons so I don’t get hot spots and burn one. Also had a massive oil leak from the valve cover and the seals around the spark plugs. Replacing all gaskets and head bolts with new ones. New timing belt and timing belt tensioner.

Fortunately, I have the tools and the means to fix myself, so im not paying for labor. Word to the wise would be to NOT put it off. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (13bpower)

mine went at 85k. fork over the cash and have it done professionally if you dont have the means to do so.
if you can afford it, look for a waterpump with a METAL impellar. this will keep you from having to do another waterpump down the road. Seems the impellar is made from some cheap plastic that doesnt like heat all that much.
as for how much labor costs would be, i honestly dont know.

Modified by luvdemdubz at 1:09 PM 7-8-2009

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Morbidgrass)

It's about a 8-12 hour job for a decently experience DIYer... ME...

Just do it.
Next time I'm probably gonna pull the whole motor out of my car. At 130K there is some other MX things I want to take car of...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.