VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mine decided to crack on the bottom of all four runners. on top of that...the damn thing is warped somehow.....dont ask me how...i dont know. what i do know is i now need another one and dont have any money til friday. I JB welded it last night but becuz of the warpage the gasket didnt seal and so when i tried to tighten it down some more..it cracked the JB..anyone willing to DONATE to the cause?

· Registered
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think this is a lil beyond JB.... as a matter of fact it WAS JB'd... LOL i have it all sandblasted and its getting welded now...

· Registered
5,629 Posts
Re: (nab5126)

I think you can pick one up from a junk-yard much cheaper than getting that welded. Just make sure next time it goes on, to tighten all of the bolts in the proper sequence. If there isn't a sequence, just criss-cross from inside out.

· Registered
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (thetwodubheads)

Quote, originally posted by thetwodubheads »
I think you can pick one up from a junk-yard much cheaper than getting that welded. Just make sure next time it goes on, to tighten all of the bolts in the proper sequence. If there isn't a sequence, just criss-cross from inside out.
no i do welding myself...but i got one of my coworkers to weld it for me..aka FREE...and yes i know the "proper sequence" these cracks were caused by stress from the manifold's weight among other things like engine movement ect....

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Re: (the_q_jet)

Quote, originally posted by the_q_jet »
no i do welding myself...but i got one of my coworkers to weld it for me..aka FREE...and yes i know the "proper sequence" these cracks were caused by stress from the manifold's weight among other things like engine movement ect....

what about how the whole thing was being helped held up by the stock exhaust heat shield, maybe fab up some kind of support bracket for it so it does not snap again?

· Banned
1,085 Posts
Re: (nab5126)

there shouid be no "manifold weight" resting on the lower bolts...AND if you have engine movent that results in the manifolds movement- you are doing something seriously wrong.
put the bracket on that goes from the back of the manifold to the back of the head and problem solved

· Registered
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (bulldogger72)

Quote, originally posted by bulldogger72 »
there shouid be no "manifold weight" resting on the lower bolts...AND if you have engine movent that results in the manifolds movement- you are doing something seriously wrong.
put the bracket on that goes from the back of the manifold to the back of the head and problem solved
ya think?

· Registered
8,185 Posts

wow, never knew that little bracket in the rear was sooo important,
look at the manifold cracking as an excuse to buy an sri

· Registered
1,303 Posts
Re: FV-QR (tdogg74)

i may be over thinking this, but it would seem to me that the manifold was broken by pressure from the side or some sort of twisting motion. Are you getting a lot of excessive engine movement since I know you have a hard pipe extending right from your TB to the driverside frame rail/ wheel well. Could this pipe be pushing on the manifold?

· Registered
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

i dunno- you tell me .
what is this "engine movement" you speak of that is enough to break an intake manifold, for example. thats a new one.
well without a support bracket on the back of the manifold and the fact that the MAJORITY of its weight is suspended in air the slightest engine movement can start to take its toll. A couple weeks ago i found out my dogbone mount bolt (where in bolts to the block) was snug but not TIGHT and though it went unnoticed by me i'm sure there was a lil movement with 270wtq and abrupt throttle closes
Also being that cast aluminum is very porous and cheap it can become brittle over time with pressure and heat and in this case design. so low and behold by simple physics the part of the manifold under the most stress would be the 4 bottom bolt areas.

· Registered
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: FV-QR ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
i may be over thinking this, but it would seem to me that the manifold was broken by pressure from the side or some sort of twisting motion. Are you getting a lot of excessive engine movement since I know you have a hard pipe extending right from your TB to the driverside frame rail/ wheel well. Could this pipe be pushing on the manifold?
i thought about that but with the type of coupler i put on the TB (the "hump" kind) it should more than compensate for the amount of movement it might be getting

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.