VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a dual purpose race car (road race and drag) out of my rabbit and plan to try out nitrous. The motor will be a 2L 16v at between 11 and 12 to 1 c/r. I am planning on weber 45's and schrick 276's to finish off the n/a portion of things.
Now the "NOS"- I am planning on cutting up a 16v lower intake manifold, welding on a plate to mount the carbs to it and using the factory injector holes for the n2o nozzles (direct port, of course). Here's my Question- how much fuel pressure and flow are required by JUST the nitrous system (at say between a 100 and 225hp shot). I want to run a separate small fuel system for the n2o, and I can't find info regarding this. Everything is about how to make a factory system put up with the flow and I can't find anything else.
Second- What about dual stage setups or progressive controllers? Who has tried these and what advice can you give. Does a dual stage require 2 nozzles per cyl.?
Third- Does anybody know of a forum that is dedicated to n2o info or a good place to learn about the setup of more complex "kits" than your run of the mill 50 shot.
*edit- I spell like a 2nd grader

Thanks in advance,
Garth in the AK.

Modified by g60vw at 9:05 AM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
610 Posts
contact NOS, they will help you out every step of the way. i have the direct port nitrous kit, but i do not have the instuction manual handy right now. it tells you everything you need to know in it. as far as what fuel pressure and so on. As long as i remember when i go to the garage, ill get it out and post it.

Modified by euro_racer16v at 10:09 PM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: (euro_racer16v)

direct port uses low (6psi?) FUEL pressure so a separate fuel cell/pump (methanol ?) might not be that hard after all...

The progressive systems, cool, but make sure your noids are capable of pulsing, not all are designed for rapid duty cycle.
Probably a good idea to go progressive, considering a 100-200 shock is gonna beat the piss out of your drivetrain.
don't dis the small shots
my 40 shot doubled my torque @ 2800rpm from 150 to 306wft/lbs
Any more and i'm afraid my o2a will come apart..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: Q's for the n2o Guru's (g60vw)

If your going to run a separate fuel pump and cell, your already way ahead of the game. Good choice! I would run a Holley Blue pump with regulator dead head type. This will be a low pressure system but will have enough fuel flow to handle 400HP worth of nitrous.
I would stay away from the progressive controllers IMO. There not worth it and they are hard on the standard solenoids. You can launch your car on a single fogger nozzle before the T/B and run a RPM switch to activate the four fogger system.
FYI you should be able to get a 2L 16V to run low 12?s with a single fogger running a 90shot, been there and done that with no problems. This was running around 9.5 to 1 compression. So a four fogger should rip.
Your third question I will be putting together a import nitrous form/ board this Fall. I to have been looking for advance import nitrous tuning on the net and have not ran across one yet.

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: (mrkrad)

Well ive been dabbling in the N2O for quite some time now( learned the hard way back in the day's
). As of now im running a 100 shot single fogger with NOS progressive controller hook to a manual switch. I suggest you better have a sweet bottom end to take it. The best money ive spent was on the Progressive controller. I can adjust basicly everything. I also use a MSD SCI with rev limiter( Dont wanna launch my charger.) I dont use a second fuel pump. I use MSD pump booster hook to the stock pump.( upgrading the stock pump soon). Start small intil you feel that your drivetrain can handle it. I went through 2 trannies, one the gear shot rite out the casing. I also was using a stage 3 clutchnet disk with lighten fly. The first motor after i went G60, the #1 and 2 piston melted right to the block, the second it was just the #2 piston. I had to build a bottom end just for my motor to last. I sugest start with a small shot and work your way up. see wut gets stressed first. then repair and up the shot. I started with a 60, then 80 and now im at 100 shot and my tranny and clutch cant take it. Im about to tear the engine down to see if theirs any wear( Doubt it). Only things need to be replace are lifters and valve springs. IMO, i think muti port is for more 150+ shot. Its kinda like an overkill. Ive seen some sweet muti port setups on VR's. Im exspecting some new Selonoids called Pulsoids ( thread about it in the G60 forum) http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=896551. But if your planning on going where no man has gone before( 150+shot) in a street car, then plumb the hard line and give us some dyno results

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (I Wuz BottlFedG60)

Wow, thanks for the replies. I plan to run the direct port (4 foggers) because I don't think that there would be a practical way to feed all four carb throats with a single, maybe with 2, plus I think it might be better to feed the n2o after the carbs, at least all the kits for carbed V8s on NOSs and NXs websites show either a plate under the carb, or DP on like mega-death tunnel ram
About the bottom end, JE's, Crower billet rods, all ARP, Eurospec block girdle (if I can get it, insurance is good). I will probably only go 82.5 or 83 to leave a little extra in their. I have read WAY too many stories on the Tex about "...was runnin' like 8 psi, thought that 18 would be okay........stock internals.........hadn't gotten on the dyno yet........no tuning......Big ******** in block
.....blah blah".
The original thing that I made this car for was to be a combo summer car and club racer type deal, but now that I went to the drags and had a lot of fun, and that I have an 89 16v as a summer car, I want to go for a different dual personality, carbed 16v terror for the road course and N2O madness at the strip
, am I asking too much here??
And I wouldn't ever drive a rabbit around town with a 150shot, Nah, never in a million years

Garth

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: (g60vw)

You will have plenty of bottom end to handle a 150shot.
I have flowed 8 VW's(90 to a 100shot) in my area that are running stock internals with no damage. Some are on there 3rd year with spray.
Nitrous gets its bad name from people that don't know how to tune it. I have a couple G's invested in my nitrous flow bench but you can make your own for under a hundred.One thing people must know is to much fuel can be as bad as not enough. Especially when running pump gas. This is where Nitrous to fuel ratio are a must.
Good Luck If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts