VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Quaker State Synthetic 5w30 vs. Mobil1 5w30

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  dbrowne1 
#1 ·
I have an oil change scheduled for this week, and I asked them what kind of oil they use for the free maintenence oil changes- they told me 5w30 synthetic for a 1.8T. No one there knew what brand it was though.
I think its Quaker State, because last time I was at the dealer, I saw a large tanker truck with 'Quaker State' on the side of the truck. I assume it was delivering oil to the dealership.
I know that almost everyone here like Mobil1. I went to my local autoparts store and found Mobil1 5w30, but they only had 3 quarts left
It was $5.50 a quart.
I am a student, so I am on a limited budget. Should I save $27.50 on oil and let the dealership put in their oil, or give them the Mobil1 to put in?? Is Quaker State that inferior to Mobil1?

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Quaker State Synthetic 5w30 vs. Mobil1 5w30 (dbrowne1)

Cool, so why does everybody make a big deal about putting Mobil1 in? I know its the best but no-one here seems recomends any other oil. ('cept for those really expensive ones, Amsoil, etc)
Is it because some dealers put crappy oil in instead of synthetic, so they bring their own oil?
I've done alot of research here about oil and from what i've read here, I was under the impression that nothing but Mobil1 will do.

#6 ·
Re: Quaker State Synthetic 5w30 vs. Mobil1 5w30 (TurboDave18t)

mobil 1 has stood up to pretty rigorous tests and competiton.
it has been certified by porsche, bimmer, benz, audi, vw, etc.
mobil 5w30 is a great oil, go to walmart and switch the price tags, i ws lucky that they put the wrong price tags on the boxes i bought, each quart cost me $1.50, i bought 6 cases of 6quarts each
. thats over 7oil fills for 50$
dont forget to use bosch oem filter.
valvoline 5w40 is also good part number 966 or 996

#7 ·
Re: Quaker State Synthetic 5w30 vs. Mobil1 5w30 (AxeAngel)

Whats you guys opinion on Castrol Syntec 5W-30 . I just changed my oil with this yesterday, with the Bosch filter. I thought it was also a good choice. It was my second because they didnt have any Mobil 1 synthetic where my friend works.

#8 ·
Re: Quaker State Synthetic 5w30 vs. Mobil1 5w30 (AxeAngel)

quote:[HR][/HR]mobil 5w30 is a great oil, go to walmart and switch the price tags, i ws lucky that they put the wrong price tags on the boxes i bought, each quart cost me $1.50, i bought 6 cases of 6quarts each
. thats over 7oil fills for 50$
[HR][/HR]​
Or you could just be HONEST and pay full price and not be a criminal.

The reason that people use Mobil is that it's a widely available and high quality Group IV/V synthetic at a reasonable price (even if you don't switch the pricetags). Most dealers don't offer synthetic unless you pay extra for it, and they usually give you Casrol Syntec...
Syntec is not as good because it is a Group III oil. It creates a far more uniform molecule through further refinement of crude oil, but it is not a true synthetic. Group III oils are OK (better than conventional) but they still coke under extreme heat, whereas Group IV (PAO) oils vaporize into harmless gases.

#9 ·
Re: Quaker State Synthetic 5w30 vs. Mobil1 5w30 (TurboDave18t)

Not everyone here has jumped on the Mobil 1 bandwagon. I'm using conventional oil, just like my owner's manual recommends, and don't consider it crappy at all. Synthetic has advantages on paper, and in some high-stress/high-temp tests you see in those expensive ad campaigns. But I'm not chipped, and don't race or abuse my car since I plan to keep it 10 years. For the normal street driving I do, changing oil every 6 months/5K miles, I don't believe synthetic has any real-world advantage in terms of longer life for the turbo or engine.
Dan 00nbglx

#13 ·
Re: Quaker State Synthetic 5w30 vs. Mobil1 5w30 (2is1)

quote:[HR][/HR]$1.50 per quart! Great price.
They asked for a 1.50 and you paid a 1.50 per quart. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Yeah, they had this debate on TDIClub a while back about some mislabeled Delvac. I don't see a problem with this scenario. But intentionally switching the price tag is CLEARLY both illegal and wrong. Plus it won't work in a big store anyway because they scan the barcode, not the pricetag, so you'd only be able to screw a little store which is even worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.