VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, sorry i havnt been around, just been really busy, ill make it a point to be on more this week to catch up
im keeping my stock manifold and going with a vag-compatible ko4. questions that arise are.
1. can they tap my manifold for an egt probe while its still on the car, or will the shavings hurt my turbo.
2. should i just ceramic coat the place where it was tapped or the entire manifold.
3. if i decide to have my car apart for the weekend, how much should i port the manifold? 2mm?

·
Registered
13,721 Posts
Re: Queries about exhaust manifolds (AxeAngel)

Sam was talking ot both Billy and Chris about porting the manifold and such and they both told me that you won't see any real gains form it, Billy said the only reason he did it was because it was off his car. Also Chris told me that the stock manifold is so thick you won't see big gains from coating it
Mike

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Queries about exhaust manifolds (VWMike81)

thanks mike, but im tapping it for the probe, isnt it safer to do that?
or should i just drop the probe in and seal the area with some high heat sealant?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts

the shavings can fall into the turbo and cause a mess ... take it off and give it a good polish while you're having it tapped, then clean the threads and the manifold in general...
I don't know how much porting you can do though, from what I saw the manifold looked pretty thin (for a cast piece) ... either way I doubt Jet-Hot coating or Ceramic Coating the inside could hurt, it is important to check to see if the coating will hold up to the higher EGT's that Turbo cars sometimes see

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

I wouldnt recommand you to install EGT senosr on the manifold,I heard that people at oettinger did it and after few days of checking they broke the manifold.but you can go on the shaving the manifold(I was very sorry that I didnt port the manifold).

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

I just did an EGT in my DP.
Autometer's instructions tell you to go 2" downstream of the turbo anyway.
And God knows it was easier...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Re: Queries about exhaust manifolds (Jman5000)

quote:[HR][/HR]I just did an EGT in my DP.
And God knows it was easier...[HR][/HR]​
what the EGT read,did you get 850c

·
Banned
13,061 Posts
Re: Queries about exhaust manifolds (MAX_POWER)

quote:[HR][/HR]...did you get 850c[HR][/HR]​
Not with a post-turbo EGT probe...unless he has major fuel delivery issues (lack of fuel).

·
Registered
6,376 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I just did an EGT in my DP.
And God knows it was easier...[HR][/HR]​
installing a probe after the turbo reduces the sensitivity of it ... it the probe is designed to work under the conditions of the EGT's (as working in the 1600-1800 degree peak temps) then the probe should be fine
Installing the probe right after the exhaust ports in the head is the way to go for true EGT's, the other numbers can give an idea of state of tune but not a accurate one (kinda defeats the purpose of a gauge unless it's a show car)

·
Registered
35,625 Posts

You should never, ever port a manifold on the car. Not only will the shavings have to blow through the turbo, they can get sucked up in the motor during startup. Yes, it seems illogical, but it happens. A friend of mine had this happen with a stock Altima after some rebuild work. In fact, the fragment was so big, it lodged in the exhaust port at the valve seat, preventing the exhaust valve from ever closing fully. This is how they discovered the problem in the first place, actually. If you tap the manifold, take it off first and have it properly cleaned up before installation.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: Queries about exhaust manifolds (MAX_POWER)

quote:[HR][/HR]what the EGT read,did you get 850c
[HR][/HR]​
800 or so at idle, 1200 at WOT when up to temp.
Nearly 1300 running 4th gear up around 120...that's the most I've seen.

·
Registered
35,625 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]what the EGT read,did you get 850c

800 or so at idle, 1200 at WOT when up to temp.
Nearly 1300 running 4th gear up around 120...that's the most I've seen.[HR][/HR]​
I think you guys aren't talking about the same measurement scale.. 1300C would be quite hot.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Queries about exhaust manifolds (AZGolf)

ok hang on a sec here...
your telling me to put the prob in post-cat?
doesnt that defeat a lot of the purpose.
by having a 3" exhaust the egt gasses cool down a lot more due to the lower pressure and higher diamete of the downpipe.
ive hear that you should only put the probe in the manifold.
anyone else with a probe have this setup or did they do the JMan way?
so remove manifold, tap for probe(will clarify this)
port and polish inside
ceramic coat in side and out.
might as well get an even bigger turbo while im at it.

·
Banned
13,061 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]ceramic coat inside...[HR][/HR]​
I wouldn't spend $$$ on getting the inside done.
Coating "guaranteed" to 2000F? Lifetime "warranty"? Then maybe.
Increased risk of turbo destruction w/ceramic coatings (if coating breaks).

·
Registered
35,625 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]ok hang on a sec here...
your telling me to put the prob in post-cat?
doesnt that defeat a lot of the purpose.[HR][/HR]​
Sorry, I just re-read my message and it really doesn't seem to be worded well. Lemme try it again:
You should always take the manifold off the car when you plan to do anything to it that would result in metal shavings. Then clean it up before re-installing it on the car.
The manifold is the correct place to tap for EGT, just make sure you take the manifold off the car when you tap it.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Queries about exhaust manifolds (AZGolf)

ok thanks guys.
i got a quote for 75
to get it extrude honed
ceramic coated on the outside
tapped for probe
fair price?

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Queries about exhaust manifolds (tyrolkid)

quote:[HR][/HR]$75 to have it extrude honed!??! Where did you find such a cheap price???[HR][/HR]​
Thats a damn good price, espcially if it includes coating it, man I woudl expect to pay 75 just for someont to tap it out correctly.

As for the coatings up to 2000 F, that is not a problem at all, http://www.swaintech.com, they do missle nose cones, and rockets that can handle re-entry, oh and S4 tubular manifolds

chris
[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts