VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I plan to swap to rear disks on my 91 GTI before long. I already have the P-valve on the rear beam so I don't have to worry about that. Well I have heard that when you swap out the rear disks that the lines will lack about 6" of meeting up with the p-valve? Is this true? I only plan to swap out the stub axles and not the whole beam. Will I still run into this problem? Can someone please explain in detail what the whole story on this is? Pics would really help also.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: Question about brake lines on rear disks (Caleb)

Plan on fabricating all new hard lines, as I hear it. It's probably for the best anyway. It may almost be less labor intensive to just swap in a disc-equipped beam; just don't forget to put in new bushings while you're at it. HTH

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Question about brake lines on rear disks (Broke)

Damn those are some nice pages showing a bunch of stuff. I am very happy people like you are around to make it easier on the rest of us. I know when I do a job I just try to get it done and don't worry about taking a bunch of pics and writting up a huge web page about it. That is pretty damn cool of you to do all that. Have a
on me

Now after reading all that I still have a question . You didn't think I would would fully understand what I am doing did you
I have a 91 GTI with the rear proportioning valve on the rear beam. So it is my understanding that I don't have to worry about flaring lines and all that jazz do I? Since I don't have to make up for the length lost in the master cylinder p-valve. Thanks again http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: Question about brake lines on rear disks (Caleb)

You might be able to get away without having to cut and flare anything...well, I know you can, but bending you might have to do. Most parts stores can get you pre-flared sections of brake line you just need to bend, so no worries on the flaring and cutting so much

A bender is $5-$30 or so, and just bends the tubing without crimping it.
The hard lines from your MC to the pv are fine, and will not change. From your pv, the hard line for the passenger side runs across, under the heat insulation, to the passenger side, then it bends up and then down again and joins a rubber line at the axle mounting point. That line will not be changed either. From that rubber line, it turns back into a hard line again, and follows the trailing arm out to the axle, where it bends up, then over, so it will fit into the top of the back of the drum. You need it to fit basically into the bottom of the back of the drum...which is where it should be when you have a caliper on instead of the drum. The hard line will then end right there, and go into a short rubber line that attaches right to the caliper. That is where the extra 2 lines come into play for disc equipped rides

It looks to me like there is enough line that youl could reach the bottom instead of the top like you are now...question is, is it OK to re-bend the line? Also, this is all assuming you don't chew up any flare nuts. If the line can be re-bent, and the flare nuts are OK, you can do it without adding new lines or flaring anything, just a few re-bends.
Worst case, you'll need to buy $10 or so for a couple of sections of hard line, then bend it into the shape you need.
Same with your drivers side, the MC to pv lines are OK, the pv to the next rubber line at the axle is OK, but the hard line after that would need re-bent.
Hope this helps!
Broke

[Modified by Broke, 6:52 PM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Question about brake lines on rear disks (Broke)

Actually that helps a bunch. I pretty much understand what all is involved now. I will probably just print this out so I know what is going on when I get around do doing it. I don't even have the parts yet but in a few days I hope to have them. Thanks for all the help Broke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts