VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so when ever i turn on my front defroster my idle rpm jumps from about 900 to about 12-1300 i assume the ac compressor kicks on when i turn on the defroster because i dont know what else will make the idle rpm jump. My question is why does this happen and if i unplug the compressor will the defroster work properly?
Thanks, Ryan

· Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,809 Posts
Re: Question about defrosters (c-roy)

The AC turns on with the defroster for a reason. It helps dry the windshield by drying the air with the AC compressor. (The dry air blowing on the windshield sucks up the moisture on it). Anyway, if you unplug the AC clutch, it will make the AC not activate. I agree with you. I want to use a factory AC switch though, so I decide when the AC comes on, not the car. But for that, I would need a non-AC heater box, and then my fan would only have 3 speeds...

· Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,809 Posts

It will not work as intended. It will turn off the AC like you want though. There's nothing wrong with unplugging it. BTW< the idle jumps because the AC is on. This is also normal. Your car isn't broken or anything.

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Question about defrosters (VDub2625)

i know its not broken i was just wondering if i unplugged the ac compressor if it would interfere with anything, now i know it will so ill kee it plugged in

Thanks, Ryan

· Registered
1,284 Posts

I think if you unplug the compressor, the idle will still jump up. I would think that you would have to interrupt whatever signal comes from the switch to tell the ecu to bump up the idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.