VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Question... please help--------

i am looking to do the diode mod, and locally all i can find is a 5.1v diode, will this work?

i dont need to get specific, just yes or no... Please
Thanks

Modified by reddog3390 at 3:06 PM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Question About Diodes... (reddog3390)

Yes you can
No you can't
Maybe, but it depends on the application
In other words - need more info!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Question About Diodes... (Matt4x4)

Stock 1.8t AWD motor, no MBC, no chip. Just wanted to tinker with the car and see what happened but i dont want to waste all my time if the 5.1v doesnt have a use...
Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts

Still need more info, so I'm just going to give you some prelim. info here....
OK, those diodes are rated 5.1 volts, meaning if you put 12volts to them, they will blow, however, if used in a circuit with the proper sized resistor, they will work for whatever application you need them to work.
However, a Diode really only does one thing, it lets voltage through from + to -, and if the voltage is applied to it in reverse, it does not allow that voltage through, so really it's just a check gate to make sure your voltage only gets to a destination properly and your destination does not blow up due to improperly applied voltage.
Now, I still have no idea what you plan on doing with this thing, but it's NOT an LED (Light Emitting Diode) if you were planning on using it to light some stuff up in your car, you'll need to get the LE version of the Diode (get it?).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Its for the Diode Mod to clamp the sensor for the ECU, they say to use a 4.3v or a 4.7v, but locally all i have available is the 5.1v... This is meant to trick the ECU about the turbo PSI...

·
Registered
240 Posts

You can try them, they may not be sensitive enough, however, it's less than a volt difference, so they will likely be OK.
Thanks for expalining, without a use for them it's hard to tell where people are coming from....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

No thank you man!
Good input!

·
Registered
588 Posts

the map sensor only sends out a signal up to 5v
why would you use a 5.1v diode?
i think you need to read up a little more about the mod
it would be obvious theres no reason to use a 5.1v diode
4.3v = 11psi
4.7v = 17psi

·
Registered
5,725 Posts

No, i don't think the other poster knows why you are asking. 4.1 for non chipped cars, 4.7 for chipped. 5.1 would be high enough to put even a chipped motor into limp if the chip even has that feture, if not there is no need for a diode anyway. Go search the archives, there are 2 or 3 really good threads on how this works and how to do it correctly. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Question About Diodes... (thetwodubheads)

i have all that info, i have spent all day looking into it, but unfortunatly i want to do this today when i get home and the only diodes i have availabel to me locally are the 5.1, so thats why i asked if its possible to use...
I know about the 4.1v and 4.7v but i cant find info on the 5.1v, if it will even work, again since i do not have local access to a 4.3v...

·
Registered
588 Posts

did you even read my post?

Quote, originally posted by gr33nt0pmasta »
the map sensor only sends out a signal up to 5v

how much more obvious can you get that a 5.1v diode wont do ish?

Modified by gr33nt0pmasta at 3:48 PM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Question About Diodes... (gr33nt0pmasta)

yep sure did... But if for say the 4.3v is not available and all you have is a 5.1v, would it work? I know its not the "specific one" but would it work in place of the "correct one"?
ok so the 5.1 would not work at all then? not even worth my time? is that what your trying to say?

Modified by reddog3390 at 3:50 PM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
588 Posts

THE MAP SENSOR ONLY SENDS OUT UP TO 5V...CLAMPING IT @ 5.1V WONT DO ISH BECAUSE IT DOESNT SEND OUT OVER 5V

how hard is it to understand?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

lol i think i got man, thanks for all your help./

·
Registered
588 Posts

you need to read and try to understand the concept behind the mod
its obvious you dont know what the mod really does

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

i have an idea buddy thanks, my only question was if "5.1v was usable" thats it. A simple " yeah man" or even the "no way" would have been fine, but you had to get all crazy about it./
So again thanks for the input and i now KNOW that a 5.1v is not usable...
Have a Nice Day/
And by the way on my ORIGINAL POST IT STATES VERY CLEARLY
"Just a yes or no will do..."
Why dont you read a little before you get hasty.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts

It's not that you just want to clamp the voltage, it is the level that you want to clamp it at. If you put anything higher than 4.2 in your stock car, it will put you into limp mode every time you boost over 14.7psi sine the ECU will see it. Also, you do have a quality boost controller right? I have discovered from reading many diode mod threads before and since I did it, the only way you will lessen the surging problem is to have the veh very stock, put the boost controller in-line pre-the factory N75, and use a quality part. Not one of those cheap e-bay boost controllers. I used the Turbo XS high performance one. It has the ball and spring as well as a bleader system. I have not had any surging issues at all, and set at 17psi dynoed 187whp and 221wtq on 92 octane. I have had no limp problems, and the car feels fully stock, just pulls harder.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Question About Diodes... (thetwodubheads)

See i read that that you could just clamp the sensor, not run a MBC, and you could put it at 10 or 11psi, thats all i want, im not trying to do anything crazy, but i wanted to know what 2 or 3 mpre psi would feel like from the Stock 8psi,
Now do you guys understand im not trying to get a crazy set up, stock car, clamp diode, thats it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Dude like i said, i read on here that a couple people have been doing this and "some are seeing their psi go up a little"
A guy in a 1.8 beetle said he was getting 13psi with no MBC, i dont know how tru that is, but i figured that for $1.29 i can hav ago at it... Thats it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts