VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey... somebody stole my rear emblem, so i figure i might take this as a sign to shave my hatch partially. How much have you people paid shops to shave your vw logo? and, for those of you who have done it yourself, how did you do it, could it be done without welding?

thanks for all your help

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Re: question about hatch shaving? wish search was working.... (mojavesex)

It can be done without welding. There is a product called duramix. Its what they use to glue cars together these days.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: question about hatch shaving? wish search was working.... (Prmetme)

I recommend the welding. The shape will not change after time. First I cut a small circle of metal which fit inside the hole. Then I welded it in about 15 places to ensure a strong bond was made. Then I melted some tin into the remaining places that was not filled. After it cooled down, I shaved it with a file, primed it and then had it painted.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It can be done without welding. There is a product called duramix. Its what they use to glue cars together these days.[HR][/HR]​
Actually for any metal work on the car Welding is the best bet, Duramix should only be used for any plastic work.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Re: question about hatch shaving? wish search was working.... (GTI_Matador)

I guess today its all a matter of opinion. Duramix makes an adhesive especially for metal. Mainly its used to hold on door skins.
This whole car was shaved with duramix after about 1.5 years and 3000 miles there are no signs of cracks, swells, or any shaving ever occured.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Re: question about hatch shaving? wish search was working.... (WaitNSee)

mine is being done without welding... they are banging out the little hole, and putting on a thin layer of surface putty. for some reason most shops dont do it this way, but yea. ive seen the guys work and it looks pretty good. ill post pics when i get the car back.
and i dont know how much its costing me, because its getting done for free... my friend backed into my car, and his uncle owns a shop, so he said he would shave the hatch for free, along with fixing the damage.

·
Registered
28 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I guess today its all a matter of opinion. Duramix makes an adhesive especially for metal. Mainly its used to hold on door skins.
This whole car was shaved with duramix after about 1.5 years and 3000 miles there are no signs of cracks, swells, or any shaving ever occured.

[HR][/HR]​
If you dont mind me asking or anyone that knows about this, can you truly put exaust system on the both sides of the GTI without major changes? meaning the fuel tanks or anything. As you see in this picture, it has 2 dual exaust, i wanted to do that to mine for a very long time, every place i asked, they said they cant or dont know. In toronto, not alot of people that does VW work, most are japanese cars. So can someone give me bit more info .. thanks.
Danny

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Re: question about hatch shaving? wish search was working.... (mojavesex)

I'd definitely go with a weld. To my knowledge, I was the first on here to shave my trunk/hatch and it still looks gorgeous, even after being swapped from my 99.5 to my 2002. Do it right or don't do it at all. Oh, I paid about $450CDN for the weld and a full re-paint. I'd expect it to cost a little more for the GTI because of the glass.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: question about hatch shaving? wish search was working.... (AIRider)

I got mine welded.. Looks beautiful..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts