VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if its still illegal putting a euro plate on front of your car? because ive seen fairly good count of cars that has just euro plate..i want to put mine but im kinda scared of getting pulled over and getting a ticket.....
thanks,
jr

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (GLIJetta90)

i guess ive just been lucky, or is it the black windows.......hmmmm maybe the NY plates?
i dunno but ive had NO problems at all

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (mr.gti)

technically you are fine if you have your euro plate on the front just as long as you have your WA front plate on as well and its not being obstructed by the euro plate because technically the europlate is just like a bumpersticker and you shouldnt get a ticket for it unless the cops a total ass but then u could fight it in court.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (VeeDubbinJetta91)

You'll be fine if you have your WA plate still on

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (mr.gti)

Yes, it is illegal. I got pulled over for my Bundeswehr euro plate on the way to Seattle a few months back. Got pulled over on I-90 while cruising with a pack of Dubs heading over to EurofestNW. I was in the lead. I was obeying the speed limit and did NOTHING wrong. The stater told me the entire reason he pulled me over was for the euro plate. I didn't have my WA state plate attached...just the euro plate. He said you must have the WA state plate displayed according to some RCW #. Basically, they use it as a laser target for speeding. You also can't display ANY other plate, including the euro plate, on the front. I told him my state plate "fell off because I zipped tied it to the lower grill. It's in the back..." He gave me a warning to remove the euro plate and re-attach the state plate otherwise it's a $157 ticket. He also checked my window tint. He pulled out the measuring device (light source with a receiver to measure light loss due to tint darkness). Mine measured 21%, which is barely legal in WA. Funny thing is he loved my car. He also liked the euro plate. WSP are the guys you need to watch out for. They'll pull you over for ANYTHING.
I've been warned another time about my euro plate but it was a Sheriff this time in Spokane. $157 ticket if I don't remove it and attach my WA plate. Lucked out again. I currently have my state plate attached because I don't want to push my luck any further. I only attach it when I'm at a car show.
The city cops could care less.

Modified by Uberhare at 2:30 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (VeeDubbinJetta91)

Quote, originally posted by VeeDubbinJetta91 »
technically you are fine if you have your euro plate on the front just as long as you have your WA front plate on as well and its not being obstructed by the euro plate because technically the europlate is just like a bumpersticker and you shouldnt get a ticket for it unless the cops a total ass but then u could fight it in court.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is actually incorrect. I looked up the rcw code on this issue because i had my "4cefed" euro plate on in the center of my bumper and my WA plate down by my lip and i got nailed for them

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (4cefed)

Here's the law-
http://www.leg.wa.gov/rcw/inde...t=500
RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles -- Violations enumerated.
The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, That if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate there from may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.
So there must be a plate at the front which is no less than 12 inches from the ground. Yes it says that you cannot display another plate, but unless yours was brought from Europe it is not a Legal plate, it is merely a decorration- what if you had a euro plate sticker?
As long as you have the WA plate attached to the front, you still might get pulled over, but explain that it is for decoration, not for trying to hide your real plate
What we really need is to befriend a state patrol officer so he can legally let us run without a front plate http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by mack73 at 8:06 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (mack73)

my friend told me he got pulled over even tho he had a wa plate on and got his german plates taken away because they were gonna check if they were stolen!!!
sounds stupid but i never saw the plates on his car anymore!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (mack73)

Quote, originally posted by mack73 »
Here's the law-
http://www.leg.wa.gov/rcw/inde...t=500
RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles -- Violations enumerated.

So there must be a plate at the front which is no less than 12 inches from the ground.
Modified by mack73 at 8:06 PM 5-23-2004

LOL 12inches off the ground....i guess my plate wouldnt do

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (mk3ride)

It's funny how they pull more people over for having a europlate on then no plate at all. I have seen people in parking lots get tickets for europlates at my school when I'm parked right next to them with no plate at all and get nothing.

·
Banned
10,348 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (speediG60)

I wonder if folks in Europe buy U.S, bumpers and get in trouble for running U.S. plates?
I never understood why looking "Euro" was so cool anyway. I thought Europeans were supposed to dislike y'all Americans... Can someone please enlighten me

·
Banned
2,339 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (phatvw)

Quote, originally posted by phatvw »
I wonder if folks in Europe buy U.S, bumpers and get in trouble for running U.S. plates?
I never understood why looking "Euro" was so cool anyway. I thought Europeans were supposed to dislike y'all Americans... Can someone please enlighten me

Canadians

·
Banned
871 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (BiGNeRm)

Quote, originally posted by BiGNeRm »
my friend told me he got pulled over even tho he had a wa plate on and got his german plates taken away because they were gonna check if they were stolen!!!

my euro plate is stolen off of a citroen

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Re: question about having EURO PLATE IN WA? (Dirty Dan)

Quote, originally posted by Dirty Dan »

my euro plate is stolen off of a citroen
karma could bite you in the ass one of these days

1 - 19 of 19 Posts