VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am looking to purchase one soon, most likely off of hottexhaust.com, but the only ones i see for sale anywhere for an 01 vr6 are the systems for bumpers without the cutout. I am looking for one that will fit on the rear valence cut out. i assume the ones (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=Sport&id=254) for w/o cutout will fit under my stock bumper.. which is not the look i want. am i missing something here? or do i need to purchase the exhaust for the 02-05 golfs? thanks.

· Banned
4,772 Posts
Re: question about magnaflow exhaust (36TH CHAMBER)

I bought the same one for my vr6 jetta a couple weeks ago, mines is a 2000, but i bought the 02-up or whatever. I wanted the look of the exhaust coming through the valance rather than under...so i bought the valance for it. So in conclusion, buy the later year exhaust, buy valance...be merry

· Registered
6,024 Posts
Re: question about magnaflow exhaust (eurotrash287)

dont get magna flow... my friend got it on his gli and it did nothing cept waste 400 bucks...
better off getting a dp for the price ur payin and wait and save from something way better like tectonics or something

· Banned
6,511 Posts
Re: question about magnaflow exhaust (Gberg888GLI)

Quote, originally posted by Gberg888GLI »
dont get magna flow... my friend got it on his gli and it did nothing cept waste 400 bucks...
better off getting a dp for the price ur payin and wait and save from something way better like tectonics or something

please elaborate on how a Magnaflow catback is a waste. Magnaflow is of the same quality as Techtonics, for a cheaper price for the full stainless system and magnaflow also includes a nice tip. The fit and finish is great and performance wise it opened the top end nicely. Put a Techtonics exhaust on of the same pipe diameter and you will have the same power since both Magnaflow and techtonics utalize a straight-thru muffler system. Once you go to a straight-thru system you wont really notice a performance gain from system to system since you have already essentially got all the power you can from a catback. A catback will never give you a huge power increase, dont expect a kick in the pants when you take the car out after you install it. All they do is give you a few hp, help the power band out a little (car will actually pull to redline now) and make the car sound good.

· Registered
7,726 Posts

another noob with a 1.8T, the usual not reading of the post and assuming someone has a 1.8T
This is for a VR6 and is possibly one of the best systems out for a VR6
Buy it and be happy.

· Registered
6,024 Posts
Re: question about magnaflow exhaust (Mr. Feeny)

magnaflow is a genertic brand... they dont dyno to see gains for each specific car engine like tectonics or other tuner brands do. Magnaflow is basically american engine exhaust out on german cars... its built for muscle cars.. its not good on volkswagons... go with some real exhaust.... its crap
my friend got s on his 2003 gli with vr6 and got no gains... its crap!!!

Modified by Gberg888GLI at 9:54 PM 11-23-2006

· Registered
858 Posts
Gberg888GLI, you obviously have no idea what in the world your talking about. So please just stop posting on this subject. Next thing you know you are going to try and tell us that lowering your car is stupid, or that a turbo needs to take in hot air. Please refrain.

· Registered
1,873 Posts

magnaflow is a genertic brand... they dont dyno to see gains for each specific car engine like tectonics or other tuner brands do. Magnaflow is basically american engine exhaust out on german cars... its built for muscle cars.. its not good on volkswagons... go with some real exhaust.... its crap
my friend got s on his 2003 gli with vr6 and got no gains... its crap!!!

Modified by Gberg888GLI at 9:54 PM 11-23-2006

FYI Euro turner did an exhaust comparism on a 12v vr6 a couple years ago... tested like 8 exhausts....most of the 2.5" systems put up better numbers, TT sent there system with a $hit flowmaster muffler, and put up decent numbers, but if im not mistaken Magnaflow put up the second best numbers, with a 2.25" system..... Personaly i have both a TT with borla muffler, and a magnaflow on my GTI, im a fan of both, butt dyno tells me not to much of a difference. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Get your facts straight buddy...

· Registered
6,024 Posts
Re: question about magnaflow exhaust (nubVR)

a couple of years ago is right... now they have new stuff and magna flow isnt that good... why do u think its like 300+ dollars less than any other exhaust system... its not that good... ur better off buying a different exhaust system...
the tt ur talking about likes restriction its a turboed engine... obviously it will put up better numbers with a smaller bore exhaust... thats why everyone gets a 3" downpipe and then a 2.5" cat back for the ebst numbers... the 2.25" vs the 2.5" from everyone else were at a disadvantage from the beginning... get ur facts straight

· Registered
858 Posts
a couple years ago has nothing to do with anything. I dont know what "break throughs" you know of in fv(king exhaust systems in the past three years, but i dont know any that would significantly make magnaflow go to "crap". Last i checked, exhaust was still a hollow piece of metal that has a certain width connected to a muffler, (which techtonics and magnaflow has not changed either of their mufflers in the past few years) that takes the exhaust gases and fumes out from the engine. And another thing...who is more popular, who is more widely recognized...magnaflow or TT? That is why magnaflow is a lot cheaper, because they can produce things and sell them for less because MORE PEOPLE BUY THEM it has nothing to do with the quality of their product, do you EVER hear anyone complain about the QUALITY of a magnaflow system? No. The more you sell, the cheaper you can sell for, the more buyers you have.

Modified by XipeR at 10:13 PM 11-23-2006

· Registered
6,024 Posts
Re: (XipeR)

my friends complain about theirs... a guy i know up in nh used to build vw to race and he told me that magnaflow was crap because its all just based off the stock with a little better tubing... no testing or anything just make the stock piples a little bigger... they dont tweak it or anything like other companies do... they couldn't because they have such a volume of sales for so little money... u can buy magnaflow for any vehicle make and modle pratically... they dont have the resources to make it the best it can be like other make specific brands... im not saying that its complete crap im just saying u can spend like 700 for a really nice cat back and gain 12-15 hp or spend the 400 on magnaflow and gain 5-7hp...
it sounds no different either... my frinds gli sounds exactly the same as the stock exhaust and he had it proffesionally installed

Modified by Gberg888GLI at 10:14 PM 11-23-2006

· Registered
858 Posts
you have no clue what your talking about, and i dont think anyone agrees with you because no one is posting defending you. I think when you are talking about spending 700 dollars on an exhaust chances are you are talking about a turboback exhaust vs. a catback, in which case obviously a turboback is going to give more performance then a catback, not to mention that magnaflow doesnt offer a direct turboback deal.

· Registered
858 Posts
Re: (Gberg888GLI)

my friends complain about theirs... a guy i know up in nh used to build vw to race and he told me that magnaflow was crap because its all just based off the stock with a little better tubing... no testing or anything just make the stock piples a little bigger... they dont tweak it or anything like other companies do... they couldn't because they have such a volume of sales for so little money... u can buy magnaflow for any vehicle make and modle pratically... they dont have the resources to make it the best it can be like other make specific brands... im not saying that its complete crap im just saying u can spend like 700 for a really nice cat back and gain 12-15 hp or spend the 400 on magnaflow and gain 5-7hp...
it sounds no different either... my frinds gli sounds exactly the same as the stock exhaust and he had it proffesionally installed

Modified by Gberg888GLI at 10:14 PM 11-23-2006

IT SOUNDS NO DIFFERENT EITHER LOL
now everyone knows your full of sh*t, mangaflow is notorious for their exhaust sounding amazing.

· Registered
6,024 Posts

http://www.awe-tuning.com/page...Borla
my bad 550 and 900 for turbo back...
all im saying is the two kids that have the magnaflow hate it and want new exhaust... one has a 2003 gli with the vr6... he got almost no gains and got no new sound
my other frined has a 2005 GLI like me and he hates his magnaflow because he got no gains either nor any new sound... all he got was a shiny new tip

· Registered
11,805 Posts
Re: question about magnaflow exhaust (36TH CHAMBER)

I http://****************.com/smile/emlove.gif my 2.5" TT/Borla cat-back. That is all.
I'll be honest though, Magnaflow does seem very generic. I've never had the system personally, but there are reasons why I chose TT over Magnaflow, GHL, etc.

Modified by bootymac at 10:22 PM 11-23-2006

· Registered
858 Posts
maybe your friends just got a muffler, or something, because i can guarentee you that if he got a full magnaflow catback on a VR6 he would NOT be complaining that he has the same sound output as stock. People ask me to rev my engine at GTG's and shows just to hear my exhaust (im running magnaflow on a 12v VR6).

· Registered
11,805 Posts

Quote, originally posted by XipeR »
maybe your friends just got a muffler, or something, because i can guarentee you that if he got a full magnaflow catback on a VR6 he would NOT be complaining that he has the same sound output as stock. People ask me to rev my engine at GTG's and shows just to hear my exhaust (im running magnaflow on a 12v VR6).

Yeah, the fact that they don't notice any difference in sound is a big

Even a muffler alone would've made a noticeable difference in sound

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.