VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there picked up there car (2002 model year) and not gotten this radio? Mine is in port and is coming some time soon (apx 7-10 days). It's a Jetta GLX and it better have the new radio.
If it doesn't I am wondering if it is possible to swap out the old for the new. Has anyone done this yet? I am wondering if the connectors are the same and how big of a deal this would be to do. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19,758 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (DGMVW)

I have one of the FIRST 2k2's into the NE, specifically the first golf tdi.
And I have the old radio. Personally I like the older one better.
I doubt they will swap it but you might be able to convince them to A. Give you an indash or B. give you a really good price on one.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (landrumdh)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have one of the FIRST 2k2's into the NE, specifically the first golf tdi.
And I have the old radio. Personally I like the older one better.
I doubt they will swap it but you might be able to convince them to A. Give you an indash or B. give you a really good price on one.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah I might have to do that. I just hope that it comes in with one.
Does anyone know if I call VW customer service if I give them the VIN, will they be able to tell if it has one or not?(that is the new double din)

[Modified by DGMVW, 12:51 PM 12-1-2001]

·
Registered
19,758 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Your car is late enough that it should already have it.
They started trickling in a week or two after my car came over.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (landrumdh)

the dealership told me that, if you car was made in august, or later, then it will have the double din radio. if it was made before, then it wont have it.

[Modified by csunshine, 9:57 PM 12-1-2001]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (csunshine)

I have the double-din on my 2002. Guess mine was one of the first to trickle in as it didn't come with the manual for it.
I really do not care for it, as the reception is not that great. Also just put a cup of coffee in the holder, can't see the radio or adjust the knobs without taking the coffee cup out or have nice small fingers.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (HeliMark)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have the double-din on my 2002. Guess mine was one of the first to trickle in as it didn't come with the manual for it.
I really do not care for it, as the reception is not that great. Also just put a cup of coffee in the holder, can't see the radio or adjust the knobs without taking the coffee cup out or have nice small fingers.[HR][/HR]​
Well, hey hold to it...if mine comes in with the old one, (I have no idea how long it has been sitting in port!) then maybe we can trade. I'll pay for the shipping as long as the radio is packed well and there are no cosmetic flaws from removal. Anyway just a thought, we will see soon!

·
Registered
2021 VW Atlas SE 2.0T 4Motion
919 Posts

SOMEONE told me that they werent compatible... that the double wont fit in the single... Let me know if you guys do it, or if you end up with the double, then Helimark, let me know if you want to trade... Mine is a 2001 obviously, but is the same. I will pay shipping, etc... If you end up swapping, though, let me know if it works... I really want the double one.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (prsbirds)

the double din radio looks 150x better than my single din with a fruity cubby hole.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (pedro_sport)

quote:[HR][/HR]the double din radio looks 150x better than my single din with a fruity cubby hole.[HR][/HR]​
What's so fruity about the cubby hole? It comes in handy for my sunglasses and gave me a good spot to mount
my V1 remote display unit

Randy

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (RandyWalters)

My J-wagon 1.8t was built in August of 01 and it has the double din unit, I'm very sure yours will have it also. After week 32, they supposed to have double din units

·
Registered
422 Posts

Is it just the Monsoon that is double-din? The Golf that I drove and have been drooling over for the past 2 days has a din unit in it... hrmm wonder how long its been sitting there?
~D.J.~

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (pedro_sport)

quote:[HR][/HR]the double din radio looks 150x better than my single din with a fruity cubby hole.[HR][/HR]​
I like how that "fruity" cubby hole can hold three of my gauges.

·
Registered
29 Posts

The connectors are different on the double din radio,but anything is possible.........

·
Registered
422 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (MK4AVANT)

In one of my more recent car and drivers, they tested the Jetta in a comparison, and theirs had a double din.
~D.J.~

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (berettaboi)

mine had a production date of october 1, and it has the double din. I actually kind of like it, even though its BIG. It matches everything else in the car well and i like the way it looks at night. and its easy to read and doesnt have all that useless crap in the display.
i miss having a cubby hole, but theres plenty of space in the armrest and doors.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts

I was at the dealer last week when they were off loading some Golfs and GTIs off a truck. Some Golfs had the double DIN radios, some had the single DIN, the GTIs all had single DINs. I guess it's when the factories run out of the single DINs. Another observation was that the 02 Golfs no longer had Continental tires, but Good Years?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (wlombardi)

THe '02 that I have been looking at has Conti Touring Contacts on it, and it has a single DIN radio. Any opinions on those?

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Re: Question about new Double Din Radio (berettaboi)

As far a stock tires, I prefer the Conti's over any other GoodYear or Mich. When I did get a chance to listen to the double DIN Monsoon radio, it sounded muddy, and just not as clear compared to the single DIN. my two cents.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts