VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my FK seats and am wondering if I'm going to be able to feel a difference in performance when I go from 2 stock seats (100lbs.) to 2 FK seats (60lbs.). I keep reading about how this unsprung weight deal is actually like 4x as much weight or something. Just wanted to know if reducing 40lbs. on the front axle will make a difference.
On another, yet similiar note, I'm also removing my rebars (-10lbs.) and getting an 11 lbs. carbon fiber hood (stock is 40lbs.) For another 40 lbs. off the front axle.

23,696 Posts
Re: question about reduced unsprung weight (michael whittaker)

Sorry champ, all that is sprung weight. Everything that exerts weight on the cars springs is sprung, things like wheels, tires, brake calipers rotors and hubs are unsprung, becuase there weight is not at all supported by the springs.

23,696 Posts

considering gasoline weighs about 6.25 pounds per gallon (so say ~80 lbs for a full tank) I doubt 80 pounds will be noticeable, hell, put a skinny kid in the front seat and you can have the same effect.
If you are a 1/4 miler you may notice a small difference, but day to day it shouldn't make a dent.
thats the truth of the matter

· Registered
5,631 Posts

Rules of thumb is for every 100lbs of weight loss you see about .10th in the 1/4. I think this works from about the 13 to 16 sec bracket.
Unsprung weight is much better to lose but it's also harder to lose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.