VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive had my 2016 golf sportwagen tsi 5mt since November and thus far the car has been great in all aspects. With that said, the one thing that I don't like about the car after some seat time are just that... the seats. Obviously being a manual trans car, the cloth seats were the only option that the car had (cloth is fine by me) but the seats just are not supportive or comfortable. After a 2 hour drive i notice I am always uncomfortable, shifting around in the seat, lower back pain, etc. before anyone asks, I am 30, 6'3" 180lbs

SO

I am considering some black leather B8 S4 recaros. Anyone have any experience or idea if and how they fit in the gsw? I would love to see the back seats swapping in as well, but doubt the cars share any dimensions in terms of the back seat or function/fold down so at the moment the plan would be just a front seat swap

and another random thought, do the stock mkVII seats have airbags in them? I am assuming no as the seats seem pretty bare bones, but figured it could be brought into the discussion as it could be a complexity.

I will be doing a little research and if i can get my hands on a pair - a test fit, but while I do so; feel free to discuss

·
Registered
144 Posts
The leatherette seats in my 2015 are not too comfortable either. Upper back discomfort for me and lower thigh discomfort for my wife. It would be good if we could figure out something better. The leather seats in my Mazda 3 feel amazing compared to these.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The leatherette seats in my 2015 are not too comfortable either. Upper back discomfort for me and lower thigh discomfort for my wife. It would be good if we could figure out something better. The leather seats in my Mazda 3 feel amazing compared to these.
Really? Im 5'9" 185lb and i love my seats, mine is the stock Vtex seating on my 2015 S manual, ive taken many road trips and i love the firm yet nicely sculpted seats, they hold me in great. I think you may just have to adjust them right as i didn't like them at first but after fiddling with all the adjustments and fine tuning it after many road trips i finally have it dialed in where i never move my seat because its just that perfect.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I also have the same problem. We decided to go to our local interior shop. He added more foam padding under the upholstery which did the trick. We now have both front seats with more cushion which makes the seats and lower back more comfy.
I believe the seat issue is an easy fix.
If you want extra front leg room this is what we discovered. The hump on the passenger floor sits high which reduces legroom. So he also removed it and gained a flat floor. For what reason VW left this hump is really absurd. Check out the pics.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7378649-Increasing-front-leg-room-as-easy-fix

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wonder if there is a difference between the seats in the 2015 vs 2016 cars. I find the seats in my 16 SE are way better than the seats that were in my 12 JSW tdi

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
The seats in my 2012 are terrible looking and don't hold me in place at all, they do however end up being quite comfortable on very long drives.

The seats in my 2015 SEL are fantastic looking, hold me snugly.. BUT in the 12k miles I have had it am not able to adjust the seat in a way that does not cause serious lower back pain after an hour plus driving. 1000 mile drive in April to a race and I'm not confident that these seats will get me there in any shape to actually compete and may end up renting something, they are that bad. The 2012 will likely be sold by then and I'm still dealing with a knee injury caused by a rental Sentra after a race in PR last year so won't drive the ladies car down. Seats are the only disappointment with this car, 1200+ mile and 500+ mile round trips in a mk7 GTI, same issue.

I do not believe the S5 seats will fit, I have a friend who put B8 S5 seats into his B8 A4 and even that was a chore. I believe they are to wide to just bolt in from eyeballing them but haven't actually tried to install them in a MK7.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.