VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after hanging around down at the track and running agains my buddy (92 civic dx w/ GSR engine) i've noticed that the gears in our cars are much taller than the gears in most other cars. at the end of the 1/4, i'm at the top of third, and my buddy is at the top of 4th.
by changing the gearing alone, can our cars run faster in the 1/4? i know this sounds kind of newbish, but i'm just trying to gain a better understanding of how engines/trannies work. while i'm on the topic, what is the R&P, and what effects does changing it have?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Re: question about stock gearbox (19 GTi VR6 98)

I am not an expert on gearing but I do know this, changing your stock 3.339 r&p to either a 3.67 or 3.94 will give you quicker acceleration threw the gears but your top speed will be less. I used to have the stock 3.339 in my VR and I would finish the 1/4 in third. I switched it to the G60 3.68 but I used to still finish the 1/4 in 3rd but I would be almost at 7200 rpm when I crossed the line. now I just shift into 4th at the end of the track, my MPH suffers a little but the E/T is better.
if you have grand turismo 2 for play station you can mess around with the gearing on those cars to give you a better understanding.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: question about stock gearbox (schrickedVR6)

alright, there's one approach to better acceleration. what if i wanted to keep my same top speed, as in keeping the stock r&p, and make 1st -5th shorter and add a 6th gear that's even lower than the stock 5th for highway fuel economy?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]alright, there's one approach to better acceleration. what if i wanted to keep my same top speed, as in keeping the stock r&p, and make 1st -5th shorter and add a 6th gear that's even lower than the stock 5th for highway fuel economy?[HR][/HR]​
You would have to have custom gears made to suit your needs... most people just change there fifth to .74 or something large like that to overcome the loss in top speed when switching r&p. Myself i am more concerened about acceleration then top end or fuel economy so I am fine with it. but like I said fool around with GT2 if you have access to a play station

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: question about stock gearbox (schrickedVR6)

haha the GT2 tuning method. i actually just received my mod chip in the mail, so i'll have to fool around with it...
i didn't think of just changing the 5th gear. but still, i dont' think top speed is a big deal to me. how much lower would the top speed be with the 3.67 or 3.94 r&p? and what does r&p stand for?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]haha the GT2 tuning method. i actually just received my mod chip in the mail, so i'll have to fool around with it...
i didn't think of just changing the 5th gear. but still, i dont' think top speed is a big deal to me. how much lower would the top speed be with the 3.67 or 3.94 r&p? and what does r&p stand for?[HR][/HR]​
r&p=ring & pinion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.