VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the base model require premium fuel? A friend got a mini cooper, not the cooperS, and the sales person told him to put premium fuel...
I can't find the specs on the stupid mini site.
thanks!

· Registered
2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2014 Audi Q5 S-Line
6,168 Posts
Re: question about the mini cooper (CedricSwitzerland)

Quote, originally posted by CedricSwitzerland »
does the base model require premium fuel? A friend got a mini cooper, not the cooperS, and the sales person told him to put premium fuel...
I can't find the specs on the stupid mini site.
thanks!

yes both the cooper and cooper s need premium fuel.. one of the issues they will be addressing with the new engine choices.

· Registered
2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2014 Audi Q5 S-Line
6,168 Posts
Re: (mtrainTurbo)

Quote, originally posted by mtrainTurbo »
According to some club members, you can run the Cooper on mid grade relatively well.
My question is, WHY? So you pay a couple bucks more for premium....whats the big deal?

the big deal is its supposed to be an entry level econo-car, at least the base cooper and you wouldn't expect a budget car to run on anything but 87. people that buy the plain cooper are obviously budget minded.

· Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you drive alot is does make a huge diffrence. at 40000 Km a year and a 0.1$ diffrence...it can ad up to 400-600$ a year. And thats for a car that does not take that much gas.
But, I agree, for most people its not that big of a diffrence. But if money is not important, then you get the cooperS.

· Registered
28,732 Posts

Quote »
My question is, WHY? So you pay a couple bucks more for premium....whats the big deal?

One of the attractions of a small car with a low power engine is low fuel costs. However, accounting for the premium gasoline, it costs about as much to fuel as a VW 2.0L engine -- which is near the bottom of its class in fuel economy.
Of course, the Mini Cooper has other attractions.

· Banned
10,783 Posts
Re: (tjl)

Frankly if you are buying the MINI Cooper because you are concerned about fuel costs, you are missing the point of the car.
Maybe I am different, but fuel economy means nothing to me. Its a cost of doing business, so to speak. If my tank was 30 gallons and the vehicle got 5 mpg, thats a problem. But $500 a year to me is pocket change to run a car. Running a car is an expense, period.
If you want fuel economy, maybe you would be better served with a Prius. With the MINI you get good economy and a RIDICULOUSLY fun car to drive.
I think calling the MINI an economy car is a mistake.

· Registered
6,142 Posts
Re: (ZoomBoy)

It prolly depend on the compression of the engine. If they're using a tiny engine with high compression to produce decent output, then they will need premium. I guess "base" is only relative to the "S" in the cooper's case. However, i do think it is more logical to be able to run low octane in the regular cooper...perhaps they need to put a 1.8L in there?

· Registered
4,708 Posts
Re: (rawk)

Quote, originally posted by rawk »

the big deal is its supposed to be an entry level econo-car, at least the base cooper and you wouldn't expect a budget car to run on anything but 87. people that buy the plain cooper are obviously budget minded.

Entry level econo car: Toyota Echo, base price $10,895

MINI Cooper, base price: $17,920

If someone was really budget-conscious, and that extra $600/yr for premium fuel is beyond their means, then they might want to question if "cute" is worth $7,000.
The MINI is a premium small car. It was never intended to be a cheap car.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Re: (98JettaGT)

Quote, originally posted by 98JettaGT »

If someone was really budget-conscious, and that extra $600/yr for premium fuel is beyond their means, then they might want to question if "cute" is worth $7,000.
The MINI is a premium small car. It was never intended to be a cheap car.

the man speaks the truth.

· Registered
39,462 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mtrainTurbo »
Frankly if you are buying the MINI Cooper because you are concerned about fuel costs, you are missing the point of the car.

The point remains that A Civic EX has 127hp from a 1.6 liter (compared to 115hp for the Mini's 1.6 liter) and the manual states it requires 87 octane gas. There is a difference between spending money and wasting money, and requiring 91 octane for a weak 1.6 liter engine is just wasting money.

· Registered
42,970 Posts
Re: (AZGolf)

Well, Honda engineers are freaking wizards with small engines. Their combustion chamber designs are so far beyond perfect that it's almost not fair to compare them with the relatively crude Chrysler four in that car. My 150hp Mopar 2.0 "needed" 91 octane also. It actually ran just fine on 89, though (but back when I owned it, gas was so cheap that I really didn't care and bought 93 all the time).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.