VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about a ticket i got today

I received a ticket today for a moving violation while on my way to class for finals (what a way to start the first day of finals week) and I'm curious if i can get this point removed? I already went to traffic school back in December of last year (about 5 months ago) therefore I'm not allowed to take traffic school for another 13 months (every 18 months I believe). By that time, will i be able to get this point removed off my record? Or will the window of opportunity have passed, I heard some people say you're allowed to get a point removed within a period of time when you received the ticket? So 13 months down the road (when I'm allowed to take traffic school again), will I be able to get this point removed? Or will my opportunity to take traffic school only be used for future points towards my record? Also if I go to court, and if hte cop doesn't show up, does that mean the whole thing will be dropped? If so, will i be called forward along with the cop, so i would know if he's actually there or not?

Modified by green tea at 1:05 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
850 Posts
Re: Question about a ticket i got today (green tea)

No you can't go to traffic school on this ticket. But if you get a ticket 5 months from now or after, you can go on that one.
Here is what will happen. You may or may not get a notice in the mail. These days it is quite common NOT to get a notice (budget cuts or something).
Anyway, in some counties you can go to a web site and handle the ticket. In others you will have to call. If you want to try to beat it, you CALL for an arraignment, and post bail over the phone using a credit card. You can also be arraigned by mail. Don't go to court on an arraignment, it is a major waste of time. All that happens is you plead not guilty, post bail (i.e. your fine) and get a court date. Your cop does not go to the arraignment, and you cannot present evidence at an arraignment.
So after you are arraigned, you will get a court date for a trial (if you plead not guilty). If you plead guilty, that's it, the point will hit your license eventually. If you plead not guilty, go to court, and all the cops presenting evidence will be sitting in the cop area of the courtroom before trial begins. Now all cops tend to look alike, but if you see your cop, you might just want to leave then. You can wait to get called and present your case, but unless they cited you for the wrong violation, the judge is gonna believe the cop. Or you can just leave before it even starts if you see your cop. You will foreit your bail and the point will eventually hit your license.
I did this on my last ticket, I presented my case and got humiliated. In fact the judge insinuated that I was racist for running a red light in the ghetto in my BMW. Politically correct facist. I should have just left when I recognized my cop, but I wasn't 100% sure it was him, because they all look the same. He was in street clothes and one of the worst fitting suits I had ever seen, I did get some satisfaction in that. I was tempted to tell him that I knew of an excellent tailor and show him how my pants properly draped over my shoes, not exposing my ankles and socks, but I refrained.
However, the two people sitting next to me, one who had been going over 100 mph, had their cops not show up. Lucky bastards.

·
Banned
5,847 Posts
Re: Question about a ticket i got today (val98m3sc)

hire a traffic ticket lawyer--------------they hardly EVER lose & it won't go on your record because they will get it dismissed

·
Registered
850 Posts
Re: Question about a ticket i got today (Bantastique)

I would save the lawyers for real trouble. Though supposedly there are ones that will do a traffic case for under $300, but I don't know them. The only people I know who use lawyers for traffic tickets are people who get themselves in real trouble with lots of tickets, or major violations.
Getting tickets is just part of driving. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

·
Banned
5,847 Posts
Re: Question about a ticket i got today (val98m3sc)

I use a lawyer everytime. They do speeding here in Washington for $200-$250. negligents are between $400-$500. If you add up the ticket price & the increased insurance rates that would happen if it goes on your record--the lawyer makes it worth the money.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Re: Question about a ticket i got today (green tea)

Actually you can go to traffic school again, you have to ask for it in court however. You can actually even do traffic school 3x a year, the third time you really have to beg in court. I'd say show up in court, be as polite and contrite as possible, accept what you did was wrong while explaining why you were speeding for finals, and politely ask if it would be possible to retake traffic school and/or reduce the ticket to just a monetary fine instead of points.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Re: Question about a ticket i got today (salsanacho)

Quote, originally posted by salsanacho »
Actually you can go to traffic school again, you have to ask for it in court however. You can actually even do traffic school 3x a year, the third time you really have to beg in court. I'd say show up in court, be as polite and contrite as possible, accept what you did was wrong while explaining why you were speeding for finals, and politely ask if it would be possible to retake traffic school and/or reduce the ticket to just a monetary fine instead of points.

Would you just change your plea to guility or what, cause you have to plead not guilty in order to get the court date.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Question about a ticket i got today (kwerdna31)

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely go to court,but if i can't amke the date I'm suppose to appear on, can i get a date change? This is new to me, I thought a person is only allowed to go to traffic school once every 18 months? So if I can't go to traffic school since i used my chance already 5 months ago for another incident, does that mean this point i received today for a moving violation (i was let go on speeding, but cited for taking up two lanes to avoid smacking a car that pulled out of an apartment complex from out of the blue [although I admit guilt since i shouldn't have been speeding in the first place]), does that mean this point will stay with me for 3 years before it gets removed? What really bugs me is the fact that I got it on the first day of finals week
(although I am going to hate the insurance hike). One more question, I just renewed my insurance about two weeks ago, so does that mean I'm going to get a letter from my insurance company saying my rates are going to change or will it take them a while to find out about the point i just got on my record?

Modified by green tea at 5:34 PM 5-20-2004

1 - 9 of 9 Posts