VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 WE and i wanted to get tints on it but i was wondering how does it affect visibility because i have a friend who says he can barely see his side view mirrors. Also what percent tint would still look good, but also can be able to see well.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Re: question about tints (VWwolfsburg2187)

depends... i have 15% all around cant see jack sheet at night... but it look good... esp with the FL sun beating down on my car..my old car had 20%
your prob better off with 20% or 30% ... what color is your interior? if you have black get 30% if you have tan get 20%, also check your local laws on how dark you can go .. good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: question about tints (llllllllll)

I have tan interior...30 % looks pretty good...did u get your tints done profesionally or did u do them yourself?

·
Registered
230 Posts

good think you dont live in cali. No tint up front.
i got 5% in rear and i think i had 30% in the front. Tan Interior. I had them put on for 75.00,(side job) friend work at sprewell motors.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

5% all around. Black interior.
It is a bit difficult to see at night, esp when it's raining. It's something you get used to. The legal limit here is 35%. 1.5 years on the Jetta with no problems, and 3.5 years on my old truck, also with no problems.
I like my privacy.

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Re: question about tints (MMichaelJJ)

Quote, originally posted by MMichaelJJ »

I like my privacy.

I guess so

Maybe it would be best to get some of that reflective tint... so that during the day.. people cant see in... but at night... you wouldnt have any problems? I dunno - just an uneducated unwanted piece of opinion

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Re: question about tints (idwurks)

Quote, originally posted by idwurks »

I guess so

Maybe it would be best to get some of that reflective tint... so that during the day.. people cant see in... but at night... you wouldnt have any problems? I dunno - just an uneducated unwanted piece of opinion

I'm not sure how strict law enforcement is in your area, but around here, they are more likely to pull someone over for reflective tint then they are for mine.
The reflective stuff is more of "look at me" than really dark tint.
I had a friend that did 20% (if I remember correctly) reflective, and it was a mirror during the day.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Re: question about tints (MMichaelJJ)

I've no problem with my 35% at night. I used to have 20% all around, which took a week or so to get used to. 20% isn't too dark at night but you will notice a big difference. I'd think anything under 20% would be kind of insane for night driving... You dont want to be rolling down your windows at every intersection...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Re: question about tints (Phrost)

I have 3% tint. I like it because it helps alot in South Florida with this heat and it help the A/C run alot cooler
It really looks good on a black car. I have no problem looking in the rear view mirror but it is kind of hard to look at your side mirrors, but you get use to it. So far only got one ticket for my tint because the legal limit is 28%.

·
Registered
392 Posts

i have 5% on all my windows, except the windshield and sunroof.
it does take some getting used to, but its something i personally like. the windows are dark, and have a "glassier" reflection. at night, if its not nasty outside, i'll roll my windows down to back up. i can still see my side views with the windows up, but i have to strain a little bit. not a big deal to me.
20% is nice too. I have thought about pulling my 5% and replacing it with 20%, just because it would look a liitle more responsible and warrant less "Hey look at me" attention. that's just my opinion though.
do some searches and you find an ample amount or pics with different percentages. then, decide what suits you best. don't forget, its YOUR car....
good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Re: question about tints (gtigye79)

Try to find some people in your area that has it done. As much as we try to explain to you, it will be best to see for yourself.
Look into the regional forums to see when there might be some GTGs and head over to one.
I also roll down my windows a bit when I am backing up to see out the side mirrors, at night. Would I do it again...YES. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Mike

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

im at 25% i think... my friend owns a tint shop.. all i said is i want it dark. but not limo... this is what he did. his shop dosent run on % they just have UV(wich is basicly 90% with 100% uv protection) Light, Light +, Med, Med +, Dark, and Limo.
i got dark, and can see just fine.

pic taken around 1pm, 100 degree weather. clear day... hot as hell.
and yes cali law is no tint up front

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Re: (wolfsburg88)

Quote, originally posted by wolfsburg88 »
35% is perfection

ditto. i am planning on that for my car - not too dark and not to light. Any darker and it's hard to see what's behind you at night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts