VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a stock exhaust manifold off of 1.8 8v motor that i have no use for........
im guessing that its made out of cast iron..........
QUESTION: is it possible to weld a piece of mild steel to that manifold???
if so what kind of weld would be best for this job????
thanks
any other suggestions are welcome

· Registered
167 Posts
Re: question about welding a turbo flange to stock manifold.. (wethvento)

Yes it's possible, use SMAW, GTAW or GMAW with a high nickel rod. Mcmaster sells some for doing cast iron welding. Pre-heat and post heat, then slow cool.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Re: question about welding a turbo flange to stock manifold.. (91 Aigner)

I wouldn't use GMAW because of lack of penetration compared to other process.
Possible but it's prone to crack easily especially if you add a turbocharger.
Why not simply do it the best way a first? If you can't afford it right now then wait. Don't forget: Cheap, Fast, Reliable.. you can only choose two.

· Registered
13,236 Posts
Re: question about welding a turbo flange to stock manifold.. (betajetta)

Quote, originally posted by betajetta »
you can weld cast iron with a MIG welder.....but DOOOO NOT use an arc welder. weld really slow and dont get the casting hot or it will crack.

Why not? I have with great success.
Here is a pic of my 8v Turbo manifold that I built back in '90 and logged over 60,000mi as a DD w/o any cracks or issues.
You may note the supporting bracket on the front of the Flange? That is a major key to longevity on any manifold for a transverse engine car.
Use High Nickel rods as mentioned if you are going to use stick (which is what i would suggest). Just MHO
oh, yea, and I am far from an expert welder.
Shawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.