VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering about this scenario...
lets say u wreck a car
the OTHER insurance company calls it a total loss u buy it back from them...
i strip it and send it to a junkyard
does anyone at this time report to DMV that i lost the car and they erase it out of the system?
I have yet to get a notice to give in my plates (im keeping them for memories)
So basically, are these plates still registered for a 91 VW 2dr hatchback (like it says on the registration)
if no one knows how would i go about finding out?
Daren

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Re: QUestion about wrecking a car and buying it back from the insurance company... (MK2NRG)

Report the car as disposed of, keep the old plates, get refund if applicable. You aren't going to renew it right?

Gary

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Re: QUestion about wrecking a car and buying it back from the insurance company... (MK2NRG)

Every state is a little different, however in Michigan when I bought my totaled 92 Corrado, I had to transfer the original title from me to the insurance co. and then it was transferred as a salvage title from the insurance co. back to me. The insurance co. wants to make sure the car is not fixed and reinsured through them again.
I think once the title transfers, that the plate renewal is deleted from the system, but like I said every state is a little different

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.