VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gti's rear bumper had a very, very poor respray done to it by the dealer I bought it from.(drips, bad color match, fingerprints... its bad). They've offered to give me back the $200 they paid for the work but no more.
2 reputable shops in my area said they don't even want to deal with it because it would take too much time to prep it for a proper repspray. They both gave me estimates based on me getting a used bumper with original paint. They want $300 PLUS whatever I have to spend for the bumper for the respray.
So - 1 - isn't $300 alot just for a bumper cover respray ?
and 2 - what would I have to do with my current bumper to get it ready for a proper respray ? Can't I just sand it myself and drop it off at a paint shop ? If I do this is there anything special I should know ?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Re: Question for anybody that paints for a living... (flawless kustoms)

if the color match is bad, and the shop cant get an exact match (which can be difficult) they would need to blend into the fenders or 1/4s and supplies also bump up the cost. to prep it yourself, wetsand with 500 and use a squeegee until you get rid of all orange peel and then you can send it to a shop. they can take the paint code and mix up paint and paint it off the car but then, again, you have no guarantee of a perfect color match!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Re: Question for anybody that paints for a living... (MAC)

$300 isn't bad for a respray and installing the bumper. I just quoted a guy $450 for removing / repairing a couple of small imperfections / painting and reinstalling a front bumper on a 2002 Camaro.
To get your bumper ready you should probably sand it down to the original paint.
Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts