VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I bought my corrado it had a alpine HU, 10" infinity sub and some alpine amp along with blaupunkt something or other speakers. Since buying i have noticed that when I turn my volume up to a certain volume the speakers will cut out. could this be a wiring problem or what, I dont know much at all about stereos so I could use some help
TIA

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: question for audio gods (bmxcorrado)

Do the lights in the radio cut out when the sound cuts out?
pull the radio (disconnect it from the spkr wires) and meter the speaker wires in the radio opening) for shorts to ground and low impedance on the speakers. Alpine is only 4 ohm stable.

In a lot of HU's, if the radio encounters a short to ground or bad speaker, the radio will shut down all of the output untill the impedance is corected. this could be as soon as the next bump you hit. It will not give you any kind of error code, or stop tracking the disk, it'll just have no ouput.
Alpine is pretty tolerant of shorts. As soon as you fix the problem it should start working again w/o damage

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: question for audio gods (Realtech)

so are you saying that one of my speakers may be bad, which would make all of the speakers cut out?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bmxcorrado »
so are you saying that one of my speakers may be bad, which would make all of the speakers cut out?

some HU's cut out all the speakers cause of that, some don't. but it's a good place to start;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: question for audio gods (2.ohh)

also might I add that it only does this when im playing a cd, it does not do it when listening to the radio

·
Registered
783 Posts

If it only does it when the CD is on and not the radio it is because the sub is making the cd skip. I have seen it happen before. You might be able to mount the head unit a little better and have better luck. If not you might need a newer/better head unit with better skip protection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts