VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jamie,
Do you have any official word or indication from VW or VwoA regarding when they are going to release official info about Bora/Jetta V? Is it going to happen at any of the major auto shows like what they did for Golf V in Frankfurt 2003? I’m not taking about the cars availability here in NA just the initial information release.
Thanks,

· Registered
516 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (dotnetmaster)

I'm not Jamie, and I can't wait to hear what he has to say. But my most logical guess is that because it's the next big event and it's on the home continent, I would think perhaps VW would take the opportunity to introduce the new Bora/Jetta at Geneva in March, which would then allow it to have it shown in April at NY. I believe that they should be showing the atcual new GTI at Geneva, so it would be a great roll out event for them. I mean they need to do it soon, and NY is considered the last big show of the season, so it has to be in either Geneva in March or NY in April. I could understand if they really did wait for NY, since the Jetta is a huge player for Volkswagen in North America and the Bora is not that popular in Europe, however European companies seem to usually like to flaunt their latest at home first.

· Registered
4,128 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (reflexsilver86)

My feeling is that it's way to close to the shows for either the Jetta or the Bora to be shown there. VW hasn't released anything officialy about the car. As far as we know it could now be a fastback 2-dr only, that shares many things in common with the upcoming Microbus.
What I hope is this. In the past, the Golf always comes out a little before the Jetta and the Jetta is always a little different. So, hopefully, since the Jetta/Bora is so much delayed, it will be more different from the Golf V than many think. We want squared off headlights and grilles! We want trunk mounted liscense plates. VW has had enough time to fix all that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
516 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (mediumbluemetalic)

Quote, originally posted by mediumbluemetalic »
My feeling is that it's way to close to the shows for either the Jetta or the Bora to be shown there. VW hasn't released anything officialy about the car. As far as we know it could now be a fastback 2-dr only, that shares many things in common with the upcoming Microbus.
What I hope is this. In the past, the Golf always comes out a little before the Jetta and the Jetta is always a little different. So, hopefully, since the Jetta/Bora is so much delayed, it will be more different from the Golf V than many think. We want squared off headlights and grilles! We want trunk mounted liscense plates. VW has had enough time to fix all that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Yeah I know, it seems like it's late. However if Volkswagen waits any longer, if they miss Geneva and New York, the next time they have is in September in Paris. I mean that's possible. I don't know, we haven't even seen spy shots recently of the Jetta. But VW is good at keeping things as under wraps as possible, so I don't know.

· Registered
7,001 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (reflexsilver86)

Detroit 2005. That´s the reason why you won´t get the new Golf until next year. They want to introduce the Golf and Jetta at the same time in the US. The debut for the US Golf is already scheduled for early 2005, as indicated by numerous press reports. What better time than to introduce them in Detroit. Beside, the Jetta will be introduced in hte US first and later in Europe if at all, so don´t expect to see them at any European show.

· Registered
10,589 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (dotnetmaster)

Quote, originally posted by dotnetmaster »
Jamie,
Do you have any official word or indication from VW or VwoA regarding when they are going to release official info about Bora/Jetta V? Is it going to happen at any of the major auto shows like what they did for Golf V in Frankfurt 2003? I’m not taking about the cars availability here in NA just the initial information release.
Thanks,

There is a strong possibility that we could actually see the Jetta V introduced at the North American International Auto Show next January (2005) as its first public introduction. Otherwise they could show it at the Paris Auto Show this coming September along with the production version of the new Golf V GTI.
As we got closer to middle of the year we may know more then. VW also needs to introduce the new B6 Passat as well at some point, so we'll have to see. The remaining big international autoshows this year are Geneva (march) and Paris (September) and those are the two most likely venues for large public product announcements. VW has also released photos seemingly in the middle of the week for no apparently reason as well, so you never know.
-jamie

· Registered
516 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (vwvortex1)

Quote, originally posted by vwvortex1 »

There is a strong possibility that we could actually see the Jetta V introduced at the North American International Auto Show next January (2005) as its first public introduction. Otherwise they could show it at the Paris Auto Show this coming September along with the production version of the new Golf V GTI.
As we got closer to middle of the year we may know more then. VW also needs to introduce the new B6 Passat as well at some point, so we'll have to see. The remaining big international autoshows this year are Geneva (march) and Paris (September) and those are the two most likely venues for large public product announcements. VW has also released photos seemingly in the middle of the week for no apparently reason as well, so you never know.
-jamie

I can't help but feel that if they leave the Jetta until almost exactly a year from now, in Detroit, that it may be a little late to introduce it to the market where it's going to make the biggest difference. However, you could logicize that Volkswagen doesn't want to slow sales any further of the current MkIV Jetta (or B5 Passat for that matter) by showing the MkV and the B6, because it may cause people to hold out and wait. I don't know.
You make such a good point when you note that VW tends to suddenly bring out pictures in the middle of the week, almost sporadically for no reason whatsoever. That happened with the Golf. So it's possible sometime this Summer we may just visit VWVortex and have pictures of the new Jetta staring at us. lol
The only good I can see in this is it gives PLENTY of time for them to fine tune the Jetta's details and god willing make it even better than the last model. This also goes for the new GTI, perhaps alleviating many of the strongest complaints made against it.

· Registered
4,128 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (vwvortex1)

If the Jetta V isn't introduced until 2005, that will mean that there will be 2005 Jetta IV's running around. That makes the Jetta IV's lifetime a real 7 years. It's kind of crazy to think about. Until recently, the Accord and Civic only lasted 4 years per generation. The funny thing is that their cars look dated at the end of their lifespans but the Jetta will still look nice and fresh 7 years later. Hopefully Volkswagen will be able to put that same immortality aspect in the Jetta V.

· Registered
4,048 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (mediumbluemetalic)

Quote, originally posted by mediumbluemetalic »
If the Jetta V isn't introduced until 2005, that will mean that there will be 2005 Jetta IV's running around. That makes the Jetta IV's lifetime a real 7 years. It's kind of crazy to think about. Until recently, the Accord and Civic only lasted 4 years per generation. The funny thing is that their cars look dated at the end of their lifespans but the Jetta will still look nice and fresh 7 years later. Hopefully Volkswagen will be able to put that same immortality aspect in the Jetta V.

I agree somewhat, but the other car makers in the category are catching up to VW now. Look at the new Mazada 3 and the new GM Cobalt, they definitely have caught up to VW. VW usually leads that market in style so hopefully the MKVs will be worth the wait and catapult VW ahead in styling again

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (haunted reality)

well (in the us anyway), its not that crazy:
mk4 - 6 years, as of now (2004)
mk3 - 7 years
mk2 - 8 years
mk1 - 4 years

· Registered
531 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (jrdlr)

I agree with the others who say the MkV Jetta will be a 2006 model. VWoA went to a fair amount of expense to create and promote the "New" 2004 Jetta with the revised trunk lid, tail lights, grille, and moldings. Granted, these would seem to be minor changes, but even minor changes cost a lot of money, and I doubt VWoA would go to all this trouble for just one model year.
So I expect the 2005 Jetta to be MkIV based, and perhaps even some 2006's as well (Just like MkIII and MkIV Jettas were both sold at 1999 models).

· Registered
516 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (thalter)

That was even a question I had asked a month or so ago. Being that the new Jetta at the earliest is expected to come out in the first quarter of 2005, it would either have to be introduced as a "2005.5" model, or the more standard and differentiating 2006. VW is going to have to call the Jettas that start selling around September and October 2005s, with perhaps some extra refinements for the last year, maybe a special edition, I don't know. They did it with the Golf IV in Great Britian.
I don't however think that the 2006s will be MkIV based. If Volkswagen does not introduce the new Jetta by the earlier months of 2005 they're asking for huge losses. I have to agree that the Jetta, despite the fact that it's so old now, it just looks so fresh and new. It's rare you find that, you can usually tell when a car's platform is that old, but the Jetta has remained very fresh looking, the same for the Passat. However, I would hope with the increasing competition, and from the Americans no less, that VW really starts to get in the swing of things and not take things for granted over in the US, because they also need to remember now they have their Bavarian neighbor BMW coming with the 1-Series, which undoubtedly is going to get some market share unless VW can make an extremely appealing proposition to buyers.

· Registered
148 Posts

Well, I hope VW isn't going to wait too long to introduce the new Jetta. While they did freshen the latest 2004 model up, how much in the scheme of things does it cost to add some chrome and add a bump to the trunklid? Come on VW, bring on the new Golf/Jetta and fast! I've been waiting to buy a new car, but if it doesn't arrive by this time next year, I'm afraid I will have to consider defecting. The new Mazda 3 looks might good, and on the outside, so does the Volvo S40(altho at bit higher price wise than I want to go!). The Audi A3 seems to be taking it's sweet time (again, what's the holdup?), but it is probably what I'm looking for (minus the quattro - $$$).
All the VW competitors are bringing out hot fresh stuff, yet we're still looking at the old stuff from five years ago. If the car is ready in Europe, tool up the Puebla plant and get busy. I'm not driving a 91 GTI with 205,000km on it for nothing! If my car starts to cost big bucks to fix, and nothing is on the immediate horizon from VW, it may be time to reconsider my loyalty. I keep my cars a long time, and I want to be able to jump to the next generation of technology.
So, when will it be? If it is Jan2005, I can probably hold out. Hurry up!

Prairieboy

· Registered
33 Posts

The Jetta is looking dated in the rear as we speak. It's starting to look a tad too boxy and square. god I remember when 84 camry's looked good. Now they look like little square ****boxes whenever I see em.

· Registered
4,128 Posts
Re: Question for Jamie, official Bora/Jetta V press release date? (brads)

Quote, originally posted by brads »
The Jetta is looking dated in the rear as we speak. It's starting to look a tad too boxy and square. god I remember when 84 camry's looked good. Now they look like little square ****boxes whenever I see em.

I dont really agree that the MKIV is looking boxy...I think that it still looks as foxy as the day it first came out. I think that the only thing contributing to any "dated-ness" of the MKIV is the fact that other manufacturers are copying it. Back in '99 when this Jetta was released...almost NO other companies could stand up. The interior was years ahead of Honda, Toyota, Mazda, GM, etc. The door handles were classic VW, they were fingerprint German. Now, everyone has the VW style door handels...and I mean EVERYONE. Honda and GM have come particularly close to matching VW's interior quality and style which is unfortunate. The Jetta has become more and more "cookie cutter" with time, and that's the only reason it's not looking as fresh **If** you think that it doesn't look fresh.
While other companies have stolen characteristic cues from the MKIV, I am still looking forward to the MKV:
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif Mazda's 3 still has "frames" around the door windows--something that VW has cut out with the V.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif Mazda's 3 also has this new cliche' sharp angle in the rear door leading up to the roofline--a strange trend sure to be washed away.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif The Cobalt looks like a plastic toy on the outside--if you mix the previousversion of the Current Cavailier (the face-lift before the newest face-lift) with the Mercury Cougar that's where the Cobalt came from. And with an interior taken from a '99 VW style, the Cobalt is very dated (it has "frames" around it's door windows too)
As long as VW keeps the base price of the Jetta V between 16K and 18K I think that it will do well. If the new car isn't all that Hot, it just fits the trend...odd generation Jetta's have never done as well as even generation Jetta's. So if the A5 looks dated, just wait on the A6 and it will bring things back in to prespective...and by the way...
mk4 - 7 years <<--- 7 Because there will be without doubt '05 MKIV Jettas.
mk3 - 7 years
mk2 - 8 years
mk1 - 4 years <<--- The mk1 Jetta was only around for 4 years because it was based on the aged mk1 Rabbit/Golf platform...it was a new car integrated into an almost extinct generation.

**Just as a little note about the "face-lifted" MKIV Jettas. VW has done this in the past. For the last 2 years of the MKII Jetta, the look was drastically changed by: 1)new, bigger, body colored bumpers; 2)"ground effects" under the doors that connected the two fender flares; 3)a 3rd change of size/shape to the door trim; 4)and a modified trunk lid. So it's not uncharacteristic for VW to make such changes for only a few years of production.

Modified by mediumbluemetalic at 7:37 PM 1-22-2004

· Registered
516 Posts

I also disagree that the MkIV Jetta looks boxy from the rear. It still fits in fine with cars from 2004. Compared with the other cars from 1999, it's relatively fresh. It's just now time for the new one. I don't think anything is wrong with the design now, and like mediumbluemetallic I think it remains very fresh. The same can be said for the Passat. I think the Golf and GTI IV are definitely showing their ages though. Irregardless, it is time for VW to release the new Jetta. I think though that a good sign of it being under wraps for this long is that it's likely getting a lot of attention and consideration. Note I said likely, I mean I could be wrong, but I strongly believe that VW is giving this car a lot of attention because of it's importance to its US and Canadian sales.

· Registered
11,172 Posts

maybe the golf v, the jetta v and the bmw 1 series will all be shown in detroit in 05
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.