VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Question for the forum... (osiris)

actually i'd take a 200 car and would be happy if i could put $500 into mods... but 20 & 20 is as close as it'll get i guess

·
Banned
2,471 Posts
Re: Question for the forum... (18rabbit)

quote:[HR][/HR]It'd be real nice to get a $1000 car and put $39k into it

oh what a beautiful rabbit that would be[HR][/HR]​
sounds like my 78 Rabbit

·
Banned
178 Posts
Re: Question for the forum... (xXx TURBO)

quote:[HR][/HR]it's like yeah a 911 turbo is nice but for the price of one, i could buy an s4 and make it way faster
[HR][/HR]​
True you might be able to do that, but it is still an S4.
That is such an interesting question though, I mean in my opinion it is all about what kind of work you want to put in, to reach the end goal you have for your car.
I mean do you want to spend tons of money to go fast, or should you just save the time and heartache and buy a Corvette, which is twice as fast and handles twice as well, and is WAY more reliable from the get go?????

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Question for the forum... (newcorradoowner)

but also you have to consider putting your own time into a car... Im sure a lot of us here that mod our cars could have bought something a bit nicer, newer, more prestigious if we would have saved up. But personally, i like the idea of putting my own blood sweat and tears into a car.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts

can you put that much into a wabbit really???

·
Registered
5,176 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I was just talking to my supervisor at work, and he asked me an interesting question. So now I bring it to you for more opinions. What would you rather have?[HR][/HR]​
depending on who you sell it to, the 40K car will be worth about 30K. the 20K car that had 20K put into it will be worth less than 20K.
i suggest this because not many people like modded cars unless they are strictly show cars. the assumption is that they lived a hard life... if you find a big fan of cars like yours, great. but i bet finding someone like that will be harder than selling the stock car..
for argument's sake, if i had to choose between an M3, and a jetta with mods? I would take the M3 any day.. The M3 has 340 or so HP Stock.. You MIGHT get 300HP out of the Jetta, but it is still a FWD car with a front weight bias, and is tuned within an inch of it's life, with no warranty..
call me boring, but being able to take my car in if something goes pop is a very handy thing.. if you put say... 10 grand into the engine and it goes pop, it is a very quick way to be out that 10 grand + replacement parts + labour..

[Modified by Godlike, 1:09 AM 10-1-2002]

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

i'd like to put $20k into a car...just to see what it would come out like. i talk about it all the time...but what i would really do would be interesting. realistically tho....i'd buy an S4.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

Can I have $80K and have one of each...?

Seriously though, I would be in the 20/20 (or more realistically the 1/39) club. But I also recognize there is no re-sale, etc. for that kind of car, nor would it be as reliable as the stock $40K car. I really don't mind having a car that is not for re-sale and not totally reliable. That is what I drive now.
Well, actually, that is what I have now that is broken and not driving...

·
Registered
20,477 Posts

Amen, Brother!!!

quote:[HR][/HR] sounds like my 78 Rabbit[HR][/HR]​
BTW: I thought you said you were going to finish that Rabbit...

[Modified by MEISTER, 4:50 PM 10-1-2002]

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Re: Question for the forum... (Fatboy Cartman)

quote:[HR][/HR]can you put that much into a wabbit really???[HR][/HR]​
Yup ask Bernd! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
quote:[HR][/HR]well if i had 40k to spend on a car i would ship over an s14 silvia or r32 skyline , that would be about 20k then i would have 20k to mod[HR][/HR]​
If you can find a Skyline, or a Sylvia for that price shipped here then lets go into buisness immedeatly as they are almost $50k just for the car stock with no mods.
There were a couple of them at the NHRA Event in Sonoma, and I talked to the companies that import them, and unless you know what your doing it is virtualy impossible to get there here for anything less then what they sell them for.
They are beautiful and fun cars though, there are not many cars that you can spend a couple thousand and have a 11 sec daily driver.

[Modified by crazy-legs, 5:40 PM 10-1-2002]

·
Banned
2,271 Posts

20/20, but mostly because I could never ever afford insurrance for a $40 car.
But realistically I'd take 10/15/15. 10 for the car, 15 for mods and 15 for getting a really hot girl.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Re: Question for the forum... (koston)

Ron's thinking about getting a new ride?? What are choices he is trying to decide on? I would get the $20k and then spruce it up a little, but not with the whole amount. Is he trading in his 318i?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]well if i had 40k to spend on a car i would ship over an s14 silvia or r32 skyline , that would be about 20k then i would have 20k to mod
[HR][/HR]​
R33's are better...and so are S15's http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif tell your boss to import an S15!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.