VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
non-multifunction, plastic steering wheel GL or GLS B5?
Here's the deal... I bought a leather four spoke OEM wheel, and was told that it would work on a Jetta/Golf. It turns out it's the wheel that's on a multifunction Passat.
The question is - could this be an upgrade for someone with a Passat with a plastic steering wheel? Would the same airbag work? Just trying to see who could use this wheel with which I'm now stuck.

Thanks.
Eric

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Question from a Golf/Jetta guy... Will an OEM leather W8 multifunction ... (vwbora1)

You may want to look a little further into whether you can get it on your car. I know a few B5 owners that have added the 3-spoke R32 wheel to their cars.
In order to get the multi-function to work, you will also need to replace the slip plate for the electronic controls. You currently only have one that carries the wires for the airbag. You need the one for the multi-function wheel that will also carry the multi-function wires.
If we can use your wheels, you certainly will be able to use ours... there just a couple of additional parts.
Here's an example:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81206

Modified by pass-variant at 12:33 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Re: Question from a Golf/Jetta guy... Will an OEM leather W8 multifunction ... (vwbora1)

Going from non-multifunction to multifunction is not an easy task, trust me. I witnessed first hand when I did the R32 wheel in my Jetta. Started with multifunction and went to non R32 wheel. The guys at Hillside Imports did it, but would rather never do it again without some good $$$.

Modified by cooleremail at 10:47 PM 5-21-2004

1 - 3 of 3 Posts