VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a few suspension components recently (control arms, ball joints, strut mounts) so the front end is obviously out of alignment.
Question is, when I replaced the balljoints, I tried to center them on the control arms as best as I could, but now that the car is back down on the ground, there is noticeable toe out on the passenger side wheel. Should this be somethign I have to try to fix before bringin it to the alignment shop? (does the alignment shop actually adjust toe settings through the balljoint position, so that they will take care of that, or doe they only do minor adjustments that dont required unbolting the balljoints?
I'm honestly not very familiar with what an actual alignment job consists of or how they actually do the work..
is it safe to drive the car the way it is to the aignment shop? (there is one about 5 minutes from my house)

·
Banned
10,348 Posts
Re: question on alignment (VW_IS_life)

No problem driving like that to the alignment shop. I recommend pulling the balljoint towards the outside of the car rather than centered on the LCA - that way you get a little extra negative camber which is good for handling. Do that before you get the alignment.
Toe should be an easy adjustment for the alignment shop either way. Set to 0 or very slight toe-out 1/16" or 0.08° for more performance.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: question on alignment (phatvw)

so say the shop fixes the toe issue and sets camber to whatever stock spec is, if I decide later on to add camber, will that again affect toe settings? I probably will not mess with the suspension once the alignment i done just in case....

·
Banned
10,348 Posts
Re: question on alignment (VW_IS_life)

Because the caster is non-zero, changing camber will affect the toe.
BTW alignment spec is a range, not an exact number. Toe is always the last item to adjust.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: question on alignment (phatvw)

okay i can visualise it,, yeah the caster angle would definitly affect toe settings if camber is messed with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts