VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any drawbacks to downshifting when coming to a stop? I've always done this and was wondering if this is causing any damage to anything? Is it better to just coast in N and use the brakes? I've always downshifted through the gears with slight pressure on my brakes.
Any input?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (derrickm)

ive heard from my father that downshifting saves brakes. and it helps bring heavy loads to a stop. u will waste tons of more gas.
its for those semi drivers .. "engine braking".

·
Registered
83 Posts

I do the same, but sometimes I wonder if its better to go through brakes than engines.....

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (1BadAzzVR6)

Sure it's good for semi's trying to stop massive weight in short distances...but what is easier/cheaper to fix/replace?
Clutch/tranny or brakes?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (Jman5000)

quote:[HR][/HR]Sure it's good for semi's trying to stop massive weight in short distances...but what is easier/cheaper to fix/replace?
Clutch/tranny or brakes?[HR][/HR]​
there is a god

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]Sure it's good for semi's trying to stop massive weight in short distances...but what is easier/cheaper to fix/replace?
Clutch/tranny or brakes?[HR][/HR]​
So....it's worse on the clutch and the tranny to stop this way? If that's the case, I'll be stopping just using my brakes from now on. Like you said....brakes are cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

It doesn't hurt the clutch or tranny, but you're just using them more thus shortening their duty cycle.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

i usually leave mine in gear while braking untill about a grand is left on the tach, then clutch in.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts

depends, if you do not know how to heel-toe downshift, match revs then just dumping the clutch on every down shift, you are grinding a lot of clutch pad. Not to mention, your will finish your synchros pretty quickly.
If you can heel-toe, then its great, especially going down steep hills, and having to say take a left, like I have to every freaking day.

·
Registered
132 Posts

It is totally ok to downshift when coming to a stop. One, it saves your brakes, and two, you slow as you shift so your chances of suddenly slamming on the brakes and hitting someone are way less. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
19 Posts

I prefer to downshift, for one it helps break-in the engine properly up and down the gears. This gets the engine used to higher rpm spikes, and secondly I don't like the feeling of being out of gear coasting, it is always nice to have the car engaged in case you have to get out of the way quickly. These cars were built to run ........ so run em!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (prana)

quote:[HR][/HR]depends, if you do not know how to heel-toe downshift, match revs then just dumping the clutch on every down shift, you are grinding a lot of clutch pad. Not to mention, your will finish your synchros pretty quickly.
If you can heel-toe, then its great, especially going down steep hills, and having to say take a left, like I have to every freaking day.[HR][/HR]​
Agreed. Heel-toe is the way to go. Match the rpms and drop down. That's what I do, and it works for me.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (betta jetta)

Downshift as you watch speedo. Do not downshift from 4th to second @45mph. You know what I mean. As you are decelerating you would know when to downshift at that particular speed since you upshift as you accelerate.
Sometimes, downshifting will save your break since you are using your engine, engine break, but doing this often you will notice spikes in gas consumption.
All and all, downshifting under careful monitoring at first until you get very natural at it is safe for your engine.
Please understand there is fine line between downshifting and droping transmission.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (EDUBBS)

quote:[HR][/HR]I prefer to downshift, for one it helps break-in the engine properly up and down the gears. This gets the engine used to higher rpm spikes, and secondly I don't like the feeling of being out of gear coasting, it is always nice to have the car engaged in case you have to get out of the way quickly. These cars were built to run ........ so run em! [HR][/HR]​
excactly http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (phatplat)

I just stay in the gear I'm in, brake until I'm at 1000 RPM, then go to neutral.
All that extra shifting through the lower gears may "save your brakes" but I don't think the additional clutch wear is worth it.

·
Registered
29,721 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (Belfi)

quote:[HR][/HR]I just stay in the gear I'm in, brake until I'm at 1000 RPM, then go to neutral.
All that extra shifting through the lower gears may "save your brakes" but I don't think the additional clutch wear is worth it.
[HR][/HR]​
word. No useless shifting here.. I drive in the city all the time. If I dont gotta shift, i wont. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (steez)

i agree too, if i know i am coming to a complete stop there is no point downshifting, only if i am slowing for a turn. on my way to work i would estimate i pass 20 to 30 lights and i often go from 50mph to a stop very quickly, so downshifting would be a waste.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: Question on downshifting?? (texture)

When driving "big rigs" they tell us not to down shift unless in preparation for a hill. Keep the car in gear until you reach 1000 rpm and shift out or use the clutch to shift out.
Anyone else with their CDL learn this?

·
Registered
67 Posts

I agree with the people who say leave your car in neutral and braking. I do it too -unless I'm going down a hill....

1 - 20 of 112 Posts