VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a good track tire that can also be driven to the track. as the car will be a weekend track car but not a daily driver. also looking for something that isnt going to stick way out past the body. im also not trying to slam the car i have it at a very mild drop. the wheels i have are 15x7 with a 35mm offset. i havent rolled the fenders can if need be also have the early cabby flares on the car.

any input would be great

·
Banned
23,663 Posts
define track...road course or drag.

road course direzza star spec, rt615, hankook rs3. steerable but extent track day tryes.

drag, any drag radials can be driven on the road almost.

but"slamming" the car is not going to give you the best handling period.

level control arms is your best bet, maybe a little pointing down.travel and stroke. slammed is not good for anything.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i want to auto x mostly and maybe try drag racing a couple times. and yes i know that slamming does nothing for the car but thanks for saying that. i just wanted to clarify i dont want to slam it. i do know this is the mk1 forum and it seems if it isnt slammed on 13"s with stretched tires no one cares.

can you suggest a width for the tires?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
define track...road course or drag.

road course direzza star spec, rt615, hankook rs3. steerable but extent track day tryes.

drag, any drag radials can be driven on the road almost.

but"slamming" the car is not going to give you the best handling period.

level control arms is your best bet, maybe a little pointing down.travel and stroke. slammed is not good for anything.

sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
i see the star specc and the rt615 both come in 205/50/15 and the rs-3 come in 225/45/15 will the 225 be ok on a 7 inch wide wheel and will they fit under the rabbit fender? is the extra bit of width really needed

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
You wont really find a good tire to run on the street, autox and drag racing. The tires for road course or autox are not designed like a drag tire and they excel in grip in different areas. However, it will be sticky so they do ok for drag, just not ideal, plus you will kill them very quickly doing that much and driving all the time...keep that in mind

The best plan is to get one set for autox/drag, one set for daily. Both sets will last 2x as long or more. Sometimes people cannot do this though, and if that is the case, the Direzza is pretty much the creme of the crop. Take a look at the Grassroots Motorsports tire test from this summer, it has a full break down of all the best autox street tires out there :thumbup: The direzza and hankook scored very well, the rt615 is pretty much out dated and has nothing on the new big players in the super high performance summer tires

·
Banned
23,663 Posts
the Direzza is pretty much the creme of the crop. Take a look at the Grassroots Motorsports tire test from this summer, it has a full break down of all the best autox street tires out there :thumbup: The direzza and hankook scored very well, the rt615 is pretty much out dated and has nothing on the new big players in the super high performance summer tires
been saying this for over a year. the rt615 is a good tyre, but it is far behind hankook and bridgestone.

i have put all three through their paces n th elast 4 years, and my fav is a tie betweent he rs3 and the direzza, straight line the rs3 is better, their cornering is the same, but the rs3 has some tread squirm when new. in the wet, the direzza is better.

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
You wont really find a good tire to run on the street, autox and drag racing. The tires for road course or autox are not designed like a drag tire and they excel in grip in different areas. However, it will be sticky so they do ok for drag, just not ideal, plus you will kill them very quickly doing that much and driving all the time...keep that in mind
Auto-x and road race tires SUCK at the dragstrip. They're designed to grip, but there's very little flex in the sidewall. I've been drag racing since 1998, and have had the displeasure of using race tires at the track a few times. They always lose grip quicker than a good street tire does, because they don't flex. A drag tire needs to be soft in the sidewalls.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Auto-x and road race tires SUCK at the dragstrip. They're designed to grip, but there's very little flex in the sidewall. I've been drag racing since 1998, and have the displeasure of using race tires at the track a few times. They always lose grip quicker than a good street tire does, because they don't flex. A drag tire needs to be soft in the sidewalls.
I said they do ok, like they are better than cheap all season haha its Def not recommended to drag race regularly on tires designed for autox

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.