VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked under swaps in the search area but found mostly vr6 and 1.8t along with a lot of dash swaps. I have an 87 GT and i am going to be putting in a 16v 1.8 cis. What do i have to modify. I have had some peole tel me a new fuel pump, ecu, knock sensor. Everyone i talk to has something different. What do i really need? Any help is greatly appreciated, i am also going to keep my 9a tranny. My car came with the RD motor.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: Question thats been asked alot but want straight answers, 16v swap for 8v. (Omega Supreme)

I know this is gonna sound like I'm a pu$$y, but I've been down this road before. Just buy an 87 16valve GTi, much easier.
You say you are going CIS, do mean CIS-e or mechanical CIS from the A1's?
I'll try and answer as many of your questions as I can.
The ECU is fine, the knock box is different. With the 8 valve knock box your rev limit will be lowered.
You will need the intake components from the 16 valve donor car, ie from the metering plate/airbox elbow to the throttle body, the 8 valve stuff doesn't line up properly. Example:

You will need some sort of fitting to go from the vacuum fiting on the back driver's side of the intake manifold to the rest of your vauum stuff:

I'm trying to think of some of the other things...

[Modified by wintrode, 5:01 PM 3-17-2003]

·
Banned
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Question thats been asked alot but want straight answers, 16v swap for 8v. (wintrode)

Alright time for a 16v decided against the 8v build up, to much money to invest for so little power.!Lets do it!

[Modified by Omega Supreme, 6:22 AM 3-19-2003]

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
Re: Question thats been asked alot but want straight answers, 16v swap for 8v. (Omega Supreme)

The 16V will go straight in dumbass. You have got enough people to help you. Now be a good boy and pay attention to my special smiley.....

[Modified by twwitdavw, 3:49 PM 3-18-2003]

·
Registered
427 Posts
Re: Question thats been asked alot but want straight answers, 16v swap for 8v. (twwitdavw)

Probably one of the most simplest swaps on a a2. cis-e to cis-e plug & play. You can even use the same 8v fuel distributor.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Re: Question thats been asked alot but want straight answers, 16v swap for 8v. (creechsvdub)

quote:[HR][/HR]Probably one of the most simplest swaps on a a2. cis-e to cis-e plug & play. You can even use the same 8v fuel distributor.[HR][/HR]​
and the same harness if you lengthen a couple of wires.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: Question thats been asked alot but want straight answers, 16v swap for 8v. (vwpat)

Absolutely, about the hardest part is figuring out how everything translates from the 8v to the 16v, ie where sensor connectors go and such.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Re: Question thats been asked alot but want straight answers, 16v swap for 8v. (wintrode)

yep, ez swap, pretty much plug and play with the exception of lengthening wires to fit right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts