VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have the opportunity to buy an Audi A6, but being unfamiliar with Audis, I thought it would be wise to ask a group of owners...
First, the current owner THINKS the car is a 1999 Avant Quattro, and thinks it has the 2.8l na engine. We only KNOW it's a wagon and has the automatic transmission. More info will be forthcoming as I gather it.
My questions would be - what kinds of things particular to the make and model should I look out for? Are there any dealbreaker issues I need to be aware of? And, from a personal preference standpoint, how difficult is it to swap out the automatic transmission for one of the manuals? I'm not really a 4-door wagon kind of guy (a VW Fox wagon would be great!), but this car might still make an interesting toy, if it's not going to be too big a PITA to own...
Any/all advice and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
I may have the opportunity to buy an Audi A6, but being unfamiliar with Audis, I thought it would be wise to ask a group of owners...
First, the current owner THINKS the car is a 1999 Avant Quattro, and thinks it has the 2.8l na engine. We only KNOW it's a wagon and has the automatic transmission. More info will be forthcoming as I gather it.
My questions would be - what kinds of things particular to the make and model should I look out for? Are there any dealbreaker issues I need to be aware of? And, from a personal preference standpoint, how difficult is it to swap out the automatic transmission for one of the manuals? I'm not really a 4-door wagon kind of guy (a VW Fox wagon would be great!), but this car might still make an interesting toy, if it's not going to be too big a PITA to own...
Any/all advice and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris
It's probably too late for a reply but hope this helps anyone else ... we have a 2004 2.7t with 156K miles.... I saw your comment about the Fox wagon 1.8L ... one of the best cars I ever owned - I drove it into the ground (at least I think I broke a valve spring or two by over-revving it) with 84 GTI rims on it, and an audi 80 exhaust donut upgrade - it was just a fun little car that kept up with many 2.0L cars.

A lot depends on mileage with an A6...
  • The older 2.8 16V engines were pretty bullet proof, non-interferance engines. The newer ones like yours would have the 5V per cylinder design which breath better, but require timing belt replacements on a regular schedule since they have higher compression than the older 2.8s and thus, they are interference engines (no different than most other V6 OHC vehicles available in the late 90s).
  • Audi automatic transmissions are made by ZF ... usually fairly reliable units, unless the car has had a lot of city driving. It's good to make sure the owner had had transmission serviced at least with every timing belt changed or more regularly if it was a city car. Not sure if yours is a FWD unit, but the AWD units have fluid that is supposed to be sealed for life ... ummmmm, yah, no. The older FWD units had standard ATF units - not sure about yours.
  • Some pesky electrical faults are also in your future ... some things you can just live with, others can be a bear. Dash cluster digital display illumination is usually non-existent on a 99 ... door locks and immobilizer issues can arise. Power sun-roof switches can become unreliable
  • Exhaust emissions (air pump / kombi valves) where equipped, catalytic converters, O2 Sensors can all become costly maintenance nightmare(err "expenses") ... but that's probably the same even if you have a Camry V6 :p

I once had a VW Cabrio converted from an automatic to a manual (with a 256K miles, it still runs well) At this age though, the cost of having that done would probably be cost prohibitive - might as well just find a car with a manual. That said, my buddy just swapped a 6 speed into his RS6, so it's certainly possible - just not entirely free from headaches.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts