VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed out of Dulles today to go to the A6 launch and am taking time for lunch with a good friend Barry Hoch who is the product manager for A4/S4/A5/S5/RS 5/Q5/Q7 at Audi of America. Barry was kind enough to say he'd field some questions so if you have any let me know. Lunch is in about 2.5 hours from now so make sure to post.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When will we get the v6 diesel in the A4? Particularly the avant. Also S-Tronic would be nice with that engine. Any possibilities for that trans in the A4? Does the A4 get a refresh in 2012? Thanks.

Also, has the Titanium package been a popular option for the A4 and will it continue to be offered?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would love to see Audi compete with BMW's "Dream It, Build It, Drive It" program, where you can easily select from a broad range of interior materials and options, and receive your vehicle in a short amount of time.

If Audi wants to compete with BMW's volume, then they have to match availability of variety.

You should not have to opt for S4 Line to have access to a broader range of interior finishes.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I would love to see Audi compete with BMW's "Dream It, Build It, Drive It" program, where you can easily select from a broad range of interior materials and options, and receive your vehicle in a short amount of time.

If Audi wants to compete with BMW's volume, then they have to match availability of variety.

You should not have to opt for S4 Line to have access to a broader range of interior finishes.
Are you talking about BMW's Individual program? While technically available in the US it's a bitch to find a dealer that know how to and is willing to go through the process. BMW also limits the color and interior choices in the Individual program. I don't know of there are interior options with Audi's current program, but with Audi you can use ANY paint from ANY manufacturer as long as it's water based. The only thing is non-VAG colors are more expensive. Even going that way te paint is less than what BMW charges.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Are you talking about BMW's Individual program? While technically available in the US it's a bitch to find a dealer that know how to and is willing to go through the process. BMW also limits the color and interior choices in the Individual program. I don't know of there are interior options with Audi's current program, but with Audi you can use ANY paint from ANY manufacturer as long as it's water based. The only thing is non-VAG colors are more expensive. Even going that way te paint is less than what BMW charges.
Even without their Individual Program, in the 3 series sports wagon, you get six choices of leather, including two nice browns, two woods, two different silver metal finishes. You don't need to spend thousands on a model premium in order to have those choices either.

Their Individual Program takes things even much further- special woods and metals, exotic leathers with special stitching, even cloth seat options, and many special paint finishes. Naturally, the BMW Individual program cost a lot extra, much like Audi's Exclusive program.

With BMW, they are offering the same range of six leathers and the fabric seats that they offer in Europe, without special pricing or extended ordering times.

The cars are rolling off the same production lines, whether they are destined for the US market, Canada, or Europe, so it is not like they have to do anything special like find custom leather hides.

I can understand why they might not sell certain engine/transmission combinations in certain markets, because they would need to commit to provide service and parts for them. But for interior leather or cloth, they are not stocking replacements in this country for that stuff anyway, so why not make a broader range of options available in our market, like they do in others.

The average American buyer would be stunned to see the range of finishes and equipment options available in Europe for their Audis, that are denied to the American and Canadian markets.

With Audi, the only way to get a broader range of finishes is if you are to order the most costly trim line for the series, which puts it beyond the reach of many customers.

BMW is making a big push with their Dream it, Build it, Buy it program, and Audi will be scrambling to catch up if they want to compete.

·
Registered
17,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, sorry. I have them but have not had a free moment to process. I'm back in Europe for the second time in three weeks. I'll be back from Geneva Thursday and will work to get them up for Friday. I need to sort and then go back through with him.

·
Registered
17,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing's fishy. I'm sorry for the delay. I've been back-to-back-to-back-to-back on trips and am trying to get out from under a ton of content. I've written 6000 words in the last 24 hours and am nowhere near done. Will do my best to get some of this up by Friday.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's getting clear why G is avoiding to post these and still had time to post bunch of other not so important stuff!
A member on another forum and owner of a RS5 just posted that Audi dealers from Switzerland stopped recieving orders for RS5s, as new ''facelifted model will be available to order starting from August 2011''.
This means that both A4/A5 FL premiers are due very soon and we shouldn't spoil the party!
;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'd love to see a responsorial post from George announcing that the 2012 A4 will be available with a stick shift in both saloon and avant, and the 270 hp version of the 2.0T or the 3.0TDI in the AllRoad variant. And, in a stark change from previous practice, the Avant will only cost a nominal premium over the sedan instead of an unreasonable $3k premium for the A4 and the flat-out bat-schit crazy $9k for the A6.

Of course, he might also announce that pigs will fly out of my butt first followed by marching band of trained chimps.

More likely, the stick is dead and gone, replaced by the sliptronic across the board. The avant will be dead and gone, replaced by an 'AllRoad' which will really just be an Avant wrapped in grey condom rubber below the belt line and built in Tennesee next to the VW NMS in a literacy-optional factory. Don't worry, though!! it'll have glittery new LED lights and better cup holders!! ;)

I am of course being silly, but at some point, some of the trained chimps at AoA (who are not in the marching band) might want to think about the difference between Audi and VW and the raging debate going on at a competing Audi forum right now over whether a GTI or an A4 is a better pick. What should really worry them is that the Audi proponents have pretty much lost the debate.

·
Registered
2019 Audi A4 Daytona Grey with sport and black optic packages. 2019 GTi SE White Silver DSG.
940 Posts
I know you've had your meeting long ago but maybe you can comment

Why does VW/Audi insist on holding out on the more potent versions of their motors. Hyundai now has a 2L turbo 4 with like 270+ HP in the Sonata. Why can't Audi just put the TTS spec 2.0T motor in the A3 and A4? This gets somewhat embarrasing to pay $40K for an entry level lux sedan with a 211 HP 4 banger when everyone else has 6's with 40 or 50 more HP. I'm not saying the motor isn't well matched to the car but it could use more power. Save the 211 HP version for VW and don't be so frickin stingy. VW/Audi is starting to remind me of the GM we all came to hate in the 60's and 70's.

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why does VW/Audi insist on holding out on the more potent versions of their motors. Hyundai now has a 2L turbo 4 with like 270+ HP in the Sonata. Why can't Audi just put the TTS spec 2.0T motor in the A3 and A4? This gets somewhat embarrasing to pay $40K for an entry level lux sedan with a 211 HP 4 banger when everyone else has 6's with 40 or 50 more HP. I'm not saying the motor isn't well matched to the car but it could use more power. Save the 211 HP version for VW and don't be so frickin stingy. VW/Audi is starting to remind me of the GM we all came to hate in the 60's and 70's.

Bob
Because Audi IS offering A4 V6 3.2l with 265ps! It was discontinued only in North America - rest of the World still gets it!
For the time being though... ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Because Audi IS offering A4 V6 3.2l with 265ps! It was discontinued only in North America - rest of the World still gets it!
Could it be to meet minimum CAFE standards?

·
Registered
2019 Audi A4 Daytona Grey with sport and black optic packages. 2019 GTi SE White Silver DSG.
940 Posts
Actually, the 2.0T is a better engine for the A4. The car is more balanced and the 3.2 is a bit of a disappointment performance wise as the current version 4 is pretty much equal to the V6 up to 80mph. Using the TTS motor in the A4 would be an incredible package with the sport suspension but yeah I know, why would they do that when they can get $10K more for the S4. It would be nice to see the 265 HP 4 as the standard motor or at least at a modest uptick in price as an option. Like many of the reviews have said the base A4 is a wonderful car but at $40~45K you'll get your clock cleaned by V6 Camry's and Accord's. IMO this is segmenting at it's worst on the part of Audi.

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually, the 2.0T is a better engine for the A4. The car is more balanced and the 3.2 is a bit of a disappointment performance wise as the current version 4 is pretty much equal to the V6 up to 80mph. Using the TTS motor in the A4 would be an incredible package with the sport suspension but yeah I know, why would they do that when they can get $10K more for the S4. It would be nice to see the 265 HP 4 as the standard motor or at least at a modest uptick in price as an option. Like many of the reviews have said the base A4 is a wonderful car but at $40~45K you'll get your clock cleaned by V6 Camry's and Accord's. IMO this is segmenting at it's worst on the part of Audi.

Bob
I think we will be seeing ditching of 3.2 V6 completely WW and introduction of all new 230-240ps specs of 2.0t I4 in soon-to-be released A4/5 model update (read: facelift).
Best
D

·
Registered
308 Posts

Bob
the S4 has been a bit of a sticking point with me for some time. You get hit with a $7k premium for what? a sport package suspension, some fancy badging and stitching, and the exact_same_base_motor from the A6 line. Really? And people shell out for that? Small wonder that Audi makes more per car than any other brand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.