VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im just here to see what kind of suspension set ups people have in their cars, and any problems with them if any...well y em i asking this?? i was having problems with my cv joints (mk4 golf)in the past, with hnrcoilovers and since then i have bought 17s, 7.5 inch (use to own 8.5inch) to try minimise the wear and tear and reduce the greater friction involved by putting on narrower wheels. i use to have stock 15s, still smashed them, and i have got my car raised as much as it could go, well thats what TCCA said and done. and apparantly the Hnr have a limit to how much it could be raised, but there still is space to jack it up higher. if this is true is it unsafe to raise it over what hnr has requested?? or should i go with another direction?? from the mechanics, i was told that the car was just too low but i dont get it, the coilover is made for my car.
any help would be appreciated. thanks guys and gilz.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Re: questions for drivers with coilover kits (smasher)

I have the H&R coilover kit in my car and im happy as larry. As with height u cant go to stock with H&R the minimum setting is at least 25mm lower ive read.
I know Bilstein make coilovers that keep it at oem height but they cost $$$

Have u tried seeing Heasmans they are the suspension experts http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: questions for drivers with coilover kits ( XXX 1.8T)

hey where is heasmans located and have their contact no.?? so i could lower my car 25mm from oem with the hnr coilovers????

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Re: questions for drivers with coilover kits ( XXX 1.8T)

costa.... wasn't ur car havin' probs with being too low??? just wind 'em up.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
if you can afford it, go coilovers
i got the eibach pro kit..... and apart from the odd bottoming out due my crap GLE shocks, i find them good.....
handling is significantly improved but lowering is minimal... you are hard pressed to tell if it lowered until you put it next to a standard one

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Re: questions for drivers with coilover kits (blkglf)

no probs at the rear Rob there was this noise but it had nothing to do with the coilovers

Smasher look them up in whitepages.com.au http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Im Slammed and loving it, i even have had people in the back and still no rubbing

car feels like a billy cart as Jim calls it

heres some pics

this pic the front is in a bit of a dip which make it look a bit unco

Jims 4wd Golf

Chux's beast aka GT food

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: questions for drivers with coilover kits (IML337)

hey costa, ur cars looking good mate, havent seen it in a while from the naked eye tho. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
thanks iml337!!

Modified by smasher at 2:27 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Re: (blkglf)

Hey - my Golf finally makes an appearance on the Vortex

Costa's A3 handles so well, that, umm, well, I am of the opinion also now as Tim once said that coilovers ARE the answer to all the worlds problems !

Rob - we were in the carpark of the Bulli Racing Complex after heading down there to check out the Volksday show.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Re: (Sloth)

Jim had fun raping the corners in Maroubra on Fri nite

Ive also been spotted by Slimmy apparently taking a corner at excessive speed

Now all im waiting for some lights to come from o/s and she'll be finished

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Re: ( XXX 1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by XXX 1.8T »
Jim had fun raping the corners in Maroubra on Fri nite

Ive also been spotted by Slimmy apparently taking a corner at excessive speed

Now all im waiting for some lights to come from o/s and she'll be finished

should've started with the lights

well done costa, now it's shazza's turn

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Taken from the Vortex H&R article
"H&R Springs has been around for more than twenty years, and as such, they've forged some pretty impressive relationships with both original-equipment manufacturers and tuners alike. As Roland walked us through the vast warehouse facility, we noticed bins full of springs ready to be shipped to famed Porsche tuner Gemballa, and a small distance away were boxes headed for the Bratislava birthplace of VW's famed R32 Golf. No surprise, really, considering the fact that VW has contracted H&R to design and manufacture suspension springs for all R32 production."
Seems like H&R are the go

Modified by Al Walker at 3:08 PM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Re: (Al Walker)

Had My FK silverline plus in for a week now - most impressed. We have fitted about 15 sets of H&R coilovers, and the FK is probably better quality & finish for the $$$. My set has the adjustable rebound damping, and all the inserts are genuine Koni's. Dont forget to check out FK's as I think they will be a big force to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Re: (aussie audi guy)

Its good to see u and Derek are bringing in the FK's http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
But H&R's quality are so well known now, hopefully u and Derek do some advertising like Milan did with H&R so that people can recognise FK
For the money they are good and in the US FK are big
Now our oz texers have no excuse not to have coilovers

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Re: ( XXX 1.8T)

I would go for FK & KW over H&R for this reason..
Check this out.. Its H&R Coilovers on a S3... Seems they rust

Seen a few sets do this..

Modified by s8n at 3:17 AM 2-18-2004

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Re: (s8n)

that picture is an overseas picture isnt it?

Cos of the salt on the roads causes things to rust naturally

check this test out 480 hour salt test
http://www.kwsuspension.de/e_v...n.php
The Konis did the worst out of the lot
But its ok for us we dont have salt on our roads unless i decide to take the A3 out for surf

1 - 20 of 34 Posts