VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I purchased a used fob from a seller on e-bay. I followed the instructions and programmed it. It functions fine. So now, I have my original fob, valet key, and this one. I went to the dealer and purchased the key blade section (part#1J0-837-246-F-ROH) $63.83, and had them rekey it.
Now, this is where I am unsure. The dealer said the replacement key would open all my vehicle's key holes, but if I tried to ignite the car, it would run for about thirty seconds, and then shut down, and go into a anti-theft lock mode. This lock mode would prevent me from restarting with any of my keys, and would require a tow to the dealership for reprogramming of the vehicle. The parts guy said, that the blade section has a micro chip that has to be programmed by the 1552 computer. Is this true, or can I just go thru the reprogram steps on the manual again? I don't want to waste any more dough. Can someone with Vag-Com do this, or is it a dealership only job.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Re: Questions on My replacement Fob, Is dealer telling my facts or fables? (B5INMIAMI)

(Referring to my IM to you on this subject about whether yours has the immobilizer...) Look at your key and look for a "W" on it. If the W has a line through it, it's not an immobilizer key. If no line, it has the immobilizer chip and the dealer may be telling the truth.
As for the VAG-COM question, it's probably capable of doing it, but would need someone who has one to confirm.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Re: Questions on My replacement Fob, Is dealer telling my facts or fables? (Honda_to_VW)

It's not as dramatic as the dealer makes it out to be. Start it up with your new key and see what happens, if it runs or not.
It may require a trip to the dealer if it doesn't, but not on a towtruck. Consider:
When I had my 2001 Passat, once I attempted to use the valet key for the first time. When I put it in the ignition, the ignition cylinder locked and I couldn't turn it. If I then took that key out and put in one of the remote keys, the lock would still not turn. However, I took a guess and disconnected the battery, then reconnected it (just the negative terminal). This reset whatever lock was put in place and I was able to start the car with one of the known good remote keys.
Apparently the valet key was never matched to the car and caused the anti-theft system to freak out. I took it to the dealer (drove it in, not needing to be towed) and they matched the key. They are not programming the key, they are matching the embedded microchip in the key to the car's anti-theft system so that the transponder in the car will recognize when a valid key is in the ignition.
So if you can even turn your new key in the ignition I think you'll be all set. I could never find any documentation of this "ignition lock" anti-theft behavior but it happened to me and it was repeatable. Freaked me out too until I figured all I had to do was disconnect & reconnect the battery to fix it.
In theory though, the instructions contained within the owner's manual should be fine for matching the key to the car.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Questions on My replacement Fob, Is dealer telling my facts or fables? (Bartnik)

Well, I took a chance and started my car with my new FOB. Guess what? I don't have "the immobilizer" on my car. I had a fellow Vortexer use his Vag Com on my car, and he could not find an immobilizer. He started the car, and it remained on.
. Well I am just happy I did not have to spend anymore money. In the end this replacement cost me about 80.00 dollars. A much better deal, than the dealer's cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts