VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy 1 or 2 new front seats, and will most likely end up getting ones with the cutouts for 3 or 4 piece harnesses..
Now I have some questions about them..

First, where can I mount the harnesses (as of yet I don't have a roll cage, but i have no rear seat..)
Second, are they road legal?
Third, are they fairly comfortable?
Fourth, how much better are 4-points compared to 3, etc..

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: Questions regarding 3 and 4 point harnesses. (ottawanker)

2. I don't know, but I got chewed out by a cop for using one and not my stock seatbelt.
3. Yes

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
First, where can I mount the harnesses (as of yet I don't have a roll cage, but i have no rear seat..)
Second, are they road legal?
Third, are they fairly comfortable?
Fourth, how much better are 4-points compared to 3, etc..[HR][/HR]​
1. Schroth belts mount to the factory anchor bolts in the rear. Up front there is a bolt on the lower outside frame rail near the base of the b pillar. On the inside up front you can mount into the stock belt location by sandwiching the anchor inboard of the stock belt clip.
2. Why wouldn't they be?
3. When correctly adjusted you won't notice the belts unless you try to lean over and pick up something off the floor
4. 4 pt belts distribute the force over the 4 anchor points and allow for more adjustablilty

[Modified by 16v, 8:23 PM 2-10-2002]

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Questions regarding 3 and 4 point harnesses. (16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]
1. Schroth belts mount to the factory anchor bolts in the rear. Up front there is a bolt on the lower outside frame rail near the base of the b pillar. On the inside up front you can mount into the stock belt location by sandwiching the anchor inboard of the stock belt clip.
[HR][/HR]​
Is it normal to keep the original belts if you but in the 3 or 4 point harnesses?

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

if anyone else will every drive the car leave the stock belts in for them. Plus, if anyone ever give you guff (cops, inspection station) you have the stockers as back up

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: Questions regarding 3 and 4 point harnesses. (16v)

The Schroth belts are the only ones that I know that are street-legal; Schroth put them through the FMVSS109 tests and they come with that certification (technically only for the types of seats listed in the handbook). Most of the other well-known harnesses (Sabelt, Willans, Deist, Momo etc) are very good quality and, if installed correctly, will provide better protection than stock belts; they are not street-legal because the manufacturers haven't put them through the necessary tests to qualify them. In NJ at least (possibly a Federal reg), you must leave your original safety equipment in place if you install extra belts or harnesses. I wear my 4-point Schroth all the time in preference to the stock belts and have never had any problems; they have also been thorugh several annual (now biannual) inspections without any comment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts