VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I get my Mustang back from the shop I am thinking about either buying a TDI Jetta or a 1.8T Jetta, what is the top speed on both? Are the TDI's like the diesels of old? And how much extra maintenance goes into a TDI? I like the fact that one with the automatic can get as high as 44mpg, and If i was to modify either which one has the most mods available?

·
Registered
11,732 Posts
Re: Questions regarding TDI Jetta and 1.8T Jetta (tom_and_wendy)

Read http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ
Top speed of both is high enough so as not to be an issue.
I don't know what's meant by "like the diesels of old". It runs on diesel fuel (like the diesels of old), it sounds like a diesel engine (like the diesels of old), but the noise and vibration level inside the car is enormously reduced (unlike the diesels of old), and it has enough power to get out of its own way (unlike the diesels of old).
There's no extra maintenance to a TDI. There may be slightly *different* maintenance in some cases, but no *extra* maintenance.
Keep in mind that with comparable states of tune, a 1.8T will always be faster, but how fast do you need to go? A 90hp TDI will still run fast enough to collect a mighty big ticket. Offsetting that, a TDI costs half as much to feed with diesel fuel as a 1.8T costs to feed with premium unleaded gasoline. Given that both vehicles can give more than sufficient performance (the extra that the 1.8T offers is not useful to my driving patterns) I'll take the cost savings!
Mods ... much can be done. Read the TDIFAQ.
Keep in mind that the auto tranny costs about 20% in fuel consumption.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

That was long time ago with just a chip for about 300$ ...... everything else stock.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

My buddy got a GTI (1.8t) just before I got my TDI. The handling, power, and accelleration on his car are addictive!!! Stock - the GTI is good fun but my feeling is that you can duplicate the ride and still run 45+ MPG with a little effort and money on our little diesels. If you plan on holding onto the car a long time the TDI is definetely a better buy. Don't take my word for it - go test drive a TDI yourself - there's something about the Torque you just can't put your finger on that makes driving even the 90hp stock engine good fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Questions regarding TDI Jetta and 1.8T Jetta (genau)

Ok then, what has more room, the Jetta or the Golf? Im 6'4 and 300lbs so plenty of room is high on my list of priorities.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

It's exactly the same Chasis so the difference mostly is do you want a sedan or a hatchback. VW's website shows all the interior measurements to be the same except for the following:
1)there's an inch more headroom in the golf
2)The jetta's 8 inches longer (trunk space is my guess)
3)The Golf has 1 cu.ft more for "passenger volume" and way more interior cargo space
4) The Golf's a hair lighter.
I'm just shy of 6' but I'm a pretty small guy all the same - for me the driver's seat is more than comfortable on my regular commutes but I pretty much can't have anyone sitting in the back seat or I'd more than likely crush em. Test drive it and if it feels scketchy don't even think about it, you'll be kickin yourself for years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully Ill get my Mustang back tommorow and Monday ill go drive a TDI, my big prob would be trading in the Mustang, it is not stock...supercharger, exhaust, bigger injectors, fuel pump, chip....cuz if I have negative equity it adds to the price of the payment, and like you said if it doesnt have enuff room then ill pass.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: (tom_and_wendy)

let us know how it goes - that's a big step from the mustang but if your quick about moding your TDI maybe you wont even notice it's gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (genau)

Well I drove a Jetta GLS TDI automatic this evening, bright red had every option. I was a little disappointed with its takeoff power but you can definitely feel the torque start around 2000rpm, now the price....holy crap!! $23500, no rebates, only had 1 other TDI with cloth instead of leather, I think ill keep my Stang for awhile, once you figure in tax, tag and title, not to mention any negative equity it would be over $400 per month, not a bad little car tho, I may look for a used TDI instead.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Performance-wise, the auto tranny TDI is a dog bone stock. It responds great to mods, so don't let the lack of performance fool you. Adding a chip, tuning box, injectors or any combination of said will make an auto TDI go. The price you were quoted is high however. Sounds like they're gouging you for a lack of inventory in your area. Keep looking, perhaps at another dealer, consider buying out of state, or purchase used, as you stated. If you purchase out of state, it might be possible to get the dealer to pay for your flight, and it makes a nice road trip back. I purchased a car this way a few years back. Saved a ton of money and had a nice vacation as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

Yeah that sounds a bit high. My recommendation is to go manual - you'll shave a little of the price, get better feul mileage, and be enjoying the stock performance better too (90 horses does more than you'd guess). Since you've basically given up on the price why not go back and try to play hardball with them - what've you got to lose? My TDI was the only one on the ground in southern California when I bought it and I got them to take nearly 2 g's off the sticker. If you're ready to buy right away most dealers will do just about anything. One more thing though - factor in what you'll be saving in feul and add that to what you're willing to pay - IMHO I'd rather be putting a hundred bux a month into the equity of a car than burning it up in an innefficient gasser.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

Maybe you could find a used TDI. My parents liked mine so much they got one of their own. They found a used 2000 with only 16,000 miles on it and have loved it ever since. 23K is a bit steep for an auto, but it pays to shop around. Good luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked a dealer in Dalton,GA and they didnt have any, I know one thing, with my seat all the way back the person behind me better not have any legs, cuz there was no room, handling was good, good brakes, just the godawful high price.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Re: (vigs911)

$23k

My gf paid $19k for her '03 Golf GLS(Monsoon,Cold Weather)
I'll have to differ,I think the stock auto TDI is actually a quite peppy car,I am very pleased with the performance.I thought it would be a dog also.
Just turned 1000k today,only filled the car up twice in a period of a month.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

If you don't mind to wait another year, the 130HP Passat TDI (more room) will be here next year...
And yes, I am waiting to swap the gassers for the new diesel. Testdrove the 130HP version in Europe, unbelievable.
Quote, originally posted by tom_and_wendy »
Ok then, what has more room, the Jetta or the Golf? Im 6'4 and 300lbs so plenty of room is high on my list of priorities.

Modified by sg207ptg at 5:49 PM 7-10-2003

·
Registered
28,077 Posts
Re: (Jettaboy_1)

A friend got a GREAT deal on a leftover 2002 Jetta GLS TDI when the 2003s came out.
He was ready to sign the papers on a 2003, when the salesman noticed that they still had a 2002 on the lot that showed up on his computer screen.
If you can wait a little bit, I think you could do the same with a 2003.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How different are the 2004 models gonna be? and how much will the Passat TDI be? and I think WV ought to offer its Tiptronic automatic to the TDI as an option as well, and at idle are they supposed to vibrate that bad?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts